1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber and dogs

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, May 11, 2012.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Screwed up and called the vet too late to get my pit, Levi, kenneled.

He's like my son, can't just leave him in a strange place.
    I always see dogs in the paddock.
    What's my chances of parking up in the back of 3rd level and being very discreet keeping him outta site and kenneled???

Hate to cancel as Barber is my favorite track.

2. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

That's what everyone else does

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

Yep, out of site out of mind, take him to I think it's Lot C to walk him.

4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Thanks, I think we'll roll the dice and play it smart.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

FWIW - ours are always there and stay in the RV. Sucks for them but they get to run around when we take them out and it's better than a kennel.

6. We are having a hard time finding somebody to keep Caesar. The problem is that it is hard to keep a 170lb dog that has to piss all the time out of sight.

He is a good house dog and does great at the track and does fine in the Toy Hauler, but it would be aggravating getting his big ass in and out if the truck 10x a day to take him to go piss.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. WERA

WERA Administrator

You need to dehydrate that horse :D

Clyde and Yogi were okay at 3-4 times a day, the new pup is going to be a couple more than that I think as she's still settling into a schedule in her new digs.

In all reality, just running over to the grass real quick to pee isn't an issue. Or park by the grass and it's easier. Main thing is just keep it on the DL as much as possible.

8. He is on fluid pills, because he is retaining water due to being on Prednisone (sp?) because of some skin allergy that nobody within a 250 mile radius can diagnose (including 9 different Vet's and 3 different animal dermatologists). :(

So the fluid pills make him piss alot.

9. WERA

WERA Administrator

Oh joy.

10. I know. I feel bad for him. If he doesnt get his medicine, he is miserable. He starts chewing on his legs and scratching everywhere, gets sores/blisters and his hair falls out.

And his prescription food is $72 for a 16lb bag. And those bags dont last very long.

He has been dipped several times, they have taken skin and blood samples for testing, been on several different medicines...nothing works.

They say he is in that 1% that is allergic to "something" that there is no test for or prevention for.

It isnt a disease, mite or any other type of parasite, it is an allergy, they just cant figure out what it is. :(

11. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Security is pretty good about dogs for the most part. I saw them yell at one guy only because his dog was laying on hot pavement and had no water outside. He made the guy get him something to lay on and put a bowl of water out before he left. Told the guy he would be back to check to make sure the dog had water at all times.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can bring him to me Morris. You might not get him back but you can bring him.

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Damn, sounds like a black bear!:D

Levi is so loved! You can hang with him any time you get yourself back to the races! You need to come keep the Cajun honest.

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

We went through the exact same thing for more than a year with one of our shepherds. Vet had her on Prednisone and some god-awful expensive food.

Guy at the local feed store told us to feed her Nutro for large breed dogs. It did the trick immediately.

Might be worth a try. The Nutro doesn't have any grain in it if I recall. That's what was bothering my doggie.

15. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

My mom's dog was like this and turns out he is allergic to fleas...

16. Thanks. :up: We are willing to try anything.

I wish it were that easy. The first things i thought about were the obvious things like fleas and maybe Mange. Nope, he has/had neither (we even had him "dipped" a few times just in case). So then we thought maybe it was the food or the soap we bath him in; no luck.

They have taken large patches of skin and hair, ran blood tests, did that "allergen test" where they test blood and skin samples for all kinds of allergens (like they do kids), no luck. :(

17. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

If Nutro doesn't work you could try Simply Natural. It has very few artifical preservatives in it. It is pretty much just vegetables and meat... after reading the ingredients I think our dogs eat better than us.

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I had the same issue with my dog Chris

I went to Blue Buffalo Wilderness (weight management) and dont feed him ANY other processed foods or treats other than that, and he has no issues. %100 grain free and hypoalergenic. it is awesome food for a dog

Any treats, and he starts to have skin issues. He can eat human food ok though :dunno

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I think corn is the culprit.

20. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

Not surprising considering how genetically altered the corn and other food is today!!!