1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many miles on your race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Thistle, Apr 20, 2012.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Valves checked and shimmed to spec as of two race weekends ago.

2. 57 and 0 :D
    But i agree, ride it like you stole it and worry about it when it blows or you notice a power drop.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, supwidat anyway???

4. They just got finished not too long ago. I got to ride 1 of them for a lil bit and have never ridden the other one. They are both with Kent at GMD getting Computrak'ed right now. Gonna shake 'em down and try to get used to them at Barber in a couple of weeks, which is the main reason im doing the Solo race.

5. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

no clue, don't have a speedo

6. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Over 12,000 on my '07 600RR all track miles. Changed the air filter and spark plugs over the winter

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have a motor that had 15k as a streetbike, got totaled. Then it was one of Ed Bargy's instructors bikes for years after that. Then we did all the SE endurane rounds one year. Got 3rd nat. I did another 4 or 5 years of races and trackdays after that (25 or so weekends a year). I won two championships the last year I ran it.

I'm guessing it's well into it's mid to late 30's

It still runs good. I used to check the valves every year, but never had to adjust them. Cheap Honda's.

8. Feel free to keep it to yourself if you do get one. :D

9. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

03 R6 had 20K hwy miles on it before it was turned into and endutrance sled. I got it and raced it/control rode for 3 years. sold it 3 years ago. 2 owners later I know the guy who has it and it is still humming along. one valve check the entire time, all in spec. stock engine but ss valves so it could go on forever :)

10. loudog

loudog ...inside the van.

Without any rebuilds? Dayum!

11. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

After just my third, I think, oil change from new it spun the rod bearings and it was fixed under warranty. Nothing but oil changes and a few valves inspections since then.

12. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

36000 from zero track/street now just track

13. I had a valve stem break on my 06 gsxr 600. The odometer wasn't connected, but the motor had about 11 race weekends and 10 track days on it before it broke. The motor was new before that. I did have a thinner head gasket on it though, and was running expensive race gas probably about half of the time it was running.

14. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Geee and I thought real race bikes do not have odomoters..... :D

Ron

15. bee_rossi

bee_rossi Active Member

2006 R-6 , 26,500 miles still going strong

pretty much mostly all stock parts on it still

mostly street miles maybe only around 1000-2000 track miles

keep up with basic maintenance and oil changes and will stay good

it did dyno 109 HP to rear wheel at 20,000 + miles

i am running it till motor blows or a good deal on another race bike comes up :)

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

You don't know what you're missing... :p

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Mine's been around since 89....there no telling how many miles were on it.

18. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Thread resurrection...

Now that my race season is over, I'm going to resurrect this thread...

The bike lasted all season (including the WERA 6hr at Miller) without any real issues - i.e. the absence of catastrophic mechanical carnage. That being said, it does sound, well... pretty tired. Definitely a valve knock.

So this winter I'm going to show the Gixxer some tender, loving care. Obviously a valve adjustment is definitely in order. What else would the peeps recommend? New rings? How far into it would you go and what's your definition of a rebuild? Is there a graded approach?

Thanks in advance,
    RC

19. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

Put a manual cam chain tensioner on it and call it good.

20. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

.... You guys still have the speedo hooked up?