Fram

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GixxerBlade, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Our higher end filter is a screened, synthetic media. Using a metal end cap is the only way to attach that type of media.

Yes, we still use a 'cardboard' endcap on the cellulose media'd filters.

2. JJJerry

Do you still have any of these filters? Did you file a claim with Fram? You kept using our filters after they blew apart?

I'd really like to see one. I don't know which specific model you were using, but the ones I've seen tested, had a burst pressure above 300psi.

Not trying to be an ass, I'd really like to see the filter and give it to the filter engineering team to determine root cause.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I prefer Emgo but when in need I have run many FRAM Filters with Zero Issues...

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I don't have any left. We had about 4-5 over a years time have this happen to. At first the first 1-2 we chocked up as a fluke but the rest were customer provided and after the other failures we finally just told customer if they use Fram filters we won't help them with oil related failure. Sorry.

5. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

When my engine blows I'll blame it on the fact that I use Fram filters... not because the bike is at redline 80% of the time.

6. JJJerry

Was this recently? Motorycycle filters? Do you recall the part number?

Again, just trying to collect relevant info.

7. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

As I write this I'm knocking on wood for good luck. I've used Fram oil filters for over 300,000 miles on all my vehicles and never had a problem. The vehicles included mostly SUV's that I used for towing. I never used a fram oil filter for a race bike but I would not be opposed to try it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only issues with Fram were when they had some made in I believe Korea and the amount of threads wasn't up to their spec - they also weren't enough to hold them onto the bikes. Once they brought them back into the US they were fine and we haven't seen any issue with them since.

The cardboard thing is hilarious - who cares? :crackup:

9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

No, all of these were car engines (sprint car and some drag race engines) and this has been about 3-4 years ago.

Some for a small block chevy and some were big block fords.

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don't think I've used anything but Fram for every one one of my family's vehicles for the last 16 years or so. Never an oil related failure.

11. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

I had a dodge ram that would knock on start up like it was out of oil with a fram filter on it. When you change the filter it would have maybe 1/4 cup of oil in it. I started to use filters from federated and it didnt knock again.

12. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Well for what it's worth, I appreciate you looking at the situation objectively. I've never put a fram on my bikes. Did use the orange can baseline on cars long ago and never experienced disaster type issues. But could tell using 'better' filters did improve over all engine behavior and just went with it not ever using fram again.

Simply enough their basic filter has an extremely bad reputation and I would think if they want to eliminate that stigma would simply make it just a little better. Stop using 'cellulose', heat degrades it and oil/chemical compositions cause it to break down.

Just my POV and I am by all means no subject matter expert.

13. JJJerry

Interesting, what engine? That's supposed to be the job of the anti-drainback valve if the filter isn't mounted inlet up.

14. JJJerry

Appreciate the feedback. For what it's worth, the base filter is meant to be a 3k mile, frequently changed filter. We have higher end components in the longer change interval filters, designed to live through more cycles and hold more dirt.

For long change intervals, you'll be hard pressed to find a better filter than the XG.

15. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Frame will be fine. Personally I use a Bosch D3323 as my first choice (like $11 so put it in the stp $2 box :p jk), mobile 1 M1-110 if they don't have that. My R1 and my Acura take the same filter so makes it easy to remember. Read the same thing about frame end caps being cardboard and the plastic anti drain back valve instead of rubber etc... Probably won't matter but it's peace of mind for me. Especially on a racebike getting oil changed every other race. My car always gets a good filter because it's maintenance schedule is like 7k oil changes or something.

16. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

My Standard Oil Change on my Suzuki is about $60
    $48 for 3.5 Liters of Oil.
    $2 for a new washer gasket
    $10 for a new OEM Suzuki filter

I can't seem to understand why it's worth saving a few $$$ over an OEM filter.

Buy filters online and in bulk and save a few $$$.

17. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

It was a 97 2500 with a 360 gas engine. The oil had to drain up to get out of the filter or not go into the filter? I replaced the filter with another fram and the second one did the same thing.

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I just had it as a backup in my parts bin. Well it's all I have left. It has a metal end cap so it must be a high end Fram filter. I will give it a try and go buy some backups from the motorcycle shop. I use Rotella as well. No problems there.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i bought one of these...
    [​IMG]
    never had a blow out and never bought another filter again.
    expensive? not when you consider how many filters you could buy in one season alone.
    mine's ten years old.

20. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

It's not the cost that's the issue to me, it's the quality, most often we have no idea WHO made that OE filter and two years from now could be entirely someone and something different!