1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messed up story. Cop shot a dog

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by antor1, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh???

2. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but a little 75 pound dog is not going to end up killing me.:rolleyes:

And someone running at you isn't the same thing as firing at you. If that's correct then a man a mile out running at you is reason for you to shoot him.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Good honest answer. I'd have to say the size of the dog would weigh into my decision as there are just some I don't deem a threat no matter how pissed off they may be.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm guessing you guys haven't seen a dog take someone out. It ain't pretty. Google image dog attacks... Granted it'll be pits for the most part because that's what people like to bitch about but still.

My poodle was probably the most dangerous dog to someone he felt was endangering his family. Clyde the big black lazy one sounded by far the most vicious and I could easily see him being shot as he ran at a cop - because the cop wouldn't know that once Clyde got a few feet away he'd turn around run under something to hide. I knew that. The UPS guy knew that. The FedEx guy knew it and didn't believe it so he didn't come all the way in the door :)

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The similarities are uncanny. :D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bullshit on a 75 pound dog killing you. Hell a swan just killed a dude. (okay not even close to the same thing but there was no way I could pass up using the reference!)

A DOG running at me is the same as a person with a weapon doing the same thing but even faster. That is a simple fact.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Breed could come into play at smaller sizes. A jack russell I'd worry about a lot more than a shitzu. A blue heeler would absolutely be considered a threat.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

So only the hearsay you agree with is truthful? I see how this works. ;)

9. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

I'll relate a story an old timer retired cop told me. Mall up the street, crazy old guy had a little kiosk he sold knicknacks outta. Someone was stealing from him, so he hid inside one night with a shotgun. Kid (as it turned out I think it was a mall cop) opens the canvas, and the old guy blew him to pieces. My cop shows up, the old guy is babbling and crying, waving the gun around. Cop doesn't draw, talks to him, calms him down and arrests him.

I'm not saying it fits every scenario. But it seems there are more "justified" shootings now, then again perhaps that's only the ones you hear about. The ones where the police calmly take the gun waving knucklehead into custody don't make headlines.

10. cobra2497

That is just ignorance to me sorry.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anti gun peeps bring up cases like that all the time. You rarely hear about the justified ones in the media although that is changing. I don't think there are more of them although the laws are opening up so there could be.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Depending on breed I'm not really worried about anything under 45 pounds. Above that I'd be a little more concerned.

50 lbs or more of pissed of dog could get you hurt. Is he charging directly at me or arcing around and making a bunch of noise? Those are 2 different levels of threat. Am I confied between structures? That would also have an impact on the situation.

Lots of variables none of which for me includes walking into a domestic dispute situation.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You truly believe all dogs are fuzzy fuzzy nice nice?

Well, I hope you don't ever find yourself in the situation or anything like it because it'll be bad for you.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty much agree on all counts. Lots of variables to be assessed in an extremely short period of time.

15. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

Just for size referance I have an ACD they are generally 30 to 40 lbs and can easily jump and catch you in the face. Mine will jump a 4 foot fence without thinking twice.

16. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

No, but I've worked in dog rescue for years, and have handled hundreds of unfamiliar and scared dogs and have never been bit. Came close only once. So maybe I'm leaning on my experience a little too much, since I've been a cop. But I do kinda know dogs.

17. cobra2497

No I don't but I know how to handle a situation and only use deadly force when it's actually needed.

But I'm sure my qualifications are nothing compared to the real world experience you've had

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now you're going to play the insulted card? We were doing so well too. Oh well. Other shit to do anyway.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can see that being a reason to underestimate a dog, just not sure I'd give one I don't know the benefit of the doubt if it's running free and coming right for me (gratuitous South Park reference free of charge).

20. cobra2497

I just read this report I couldn't comment on it before but really dude. Two swans swam at the kayak and it some how rolled. He then drowns because he's wearing boots and heavy clothing. It's the swans fault? I really hope this was a joke comment and you weren't serious.