1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all..I'm new to this forum ..:-)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Ronin9, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

I'm building a 89 gsxr track bike and i'm looking to find a fox srs link and assorted hardware. I know this is the place for vintage machines and xracerx has a well sorted gsxr. So I am hoping that maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction to locate this vintage race part.
    My bike is a 89 gsxr 750 with 04 bandit 12 engine. I have added the short stroke gsxr 750 head and cams to this engine to raise compression and up the hp.
    I have a fox shock ready to re-valve, So I would love to have the SRS link to improve rear ride height and traction on my 140+ hp project beast.
    any and all help would be appreciated.
    Thank you all.
    Ronin9

2. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Since no one has answered your request here's my opinion. Keep an eye out on the Gixxer.com oil cooled classified section as well as ebay. Finding an SRS linkage is almost as tough as finding a unicorn. Your other options might be to contact GMD computrak and find out if they have built or know of an equivalent that may work. Honestly I believe you will be ok with the stock linkage as long as the shock is set up correctly. I'd recommend that you focus on the front and install a correctly set up Upside down fork assembly first as this will help the suspension far more than an SRS linkage.
    Eboz

3. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

srs link

Thanks for your reply eboz. Im actually using 03 gsxr 600 forks that are 2 mm larger than stock. They will be set up to my style and weight by Ed Sorbo of Linderman engineering.
    My main concern is corner exit traction. as this b12 engine will have somewhere near 150 wheel hp.
    I have tried gixxer .com but the site seem to run slow on my computer ? cant seem to set up an account. I will try again.
    Thanks again,
    Ronin9

4. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

srs link

i've called gmd computrack and talked with a very helpful woman called Tracy.
    she may know of a person that can help me locate this elusive part.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Ronin9

5. 02GSXR

02GSXR Well-Known Member

Where are you located? I will find a guy that might have one. He has 6 or 7 bikes in his garage and may hook you up.

6. XRacerX

XRacerX Well-Known Member

Also look for one from a 93-95 GSXR 750, same link. Good luck with the hunt!

7. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

srs link

thanks for all the info guys.. i'm located in SoCal 91340 ..
    02 gsxr, if you can talk this parts guy into selling me an SRS link.
    I promise it wont just sit around.

8. 02GSXR

02GSXR Well-Known Member

PM'd you the fella's information you will need. I hope he has what you need.

Joseph

9. Outsider V6 V7

Ronin, should not be an issue with getting the power to the ground. Several of us Southeast racers do it every weekend,especially with the low HP numbers you are talking about should be a piece of cake. ;)

10. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

when tires are fresh I'm sure its fine but as they wear I feel that the more progressive rate will be better for corner exits. This engine build is low SPEC by race standards for sure. I could squeeze more hp but I don't want to have to through cranks at this thing every other race just to be safe.:bow:
    I have leaned respect for even a humble 150hp moto.
    That's how Carry Andrew and others used to keep those formula USA BIKES going. A new crank every other race. but they were making 185+ hp back then. I'm just about having fun so no need for me to make those numbers..:beer:

11. Outsider V6 V7

Ronin, I was just joking with you on the HP numbers. Most of our bikes make between 130-150 so we don't have to spend a ton of money on rebuilds. Your setup will be fine and if you're pushing that hard in a track day to spin it up every corner and are fighting to keep the front end down then you need to start racing. lol Look into wera vintage where you live and try to register for gixxer.com. They are trying to organize a track day for all the guys on the board who have vintage gsxr's. When looking at the WERA schedule look for sportsman weekends and pull up the schedule for that weekend. Even though they don't specifically list vintage you should see a V6HW and V7HW race on the schedule. Good luck with your project.

12. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

I know that you were joking..;) Please excuse my weird humor. I worked as a moto courier for 14 years with people from the UK and Germany so my humor is a little odd. That was my version of reverse sarcasm.. I would be silly to spend that kind of money on oil cooled maintenance for a club bike. Its hard enough for us mortals to manage 150 hp. That's why all new bikes have traction control. I would love to take part in a vintage track day with a grid full of old gsxrs.. I used to race and do track days with the WSMC back in the late 90'S.
    that's why Im building A 7/11 NOW.
    I'll post a build thread soon.:up:

13. Outsider V6 V7

No worries ronin, I viewed it that way but I always try and clarify when sending emails so there is not misunderstanding. I started a thread on Gixxer.com asking why they don't race. Several people responded and they also started an oil cooled trackday thread that shows what they are planning. Good luck and keep us up to date on the build and your progress. Best of Luck
    Eric Bozell
    Eboz

14. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

Nice! I'll try and make an account on gixxer again, but I'm really a road race head at hart.
    I even have a long term gs1000 Wes Cooley replica Ive been working on.
    Thanks again for the info Eric,
    Rob
    aka (Ronin)

15. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Oil cooled track...that's practice group 6 right?

16. Outsider V6 V7

Of course, anyone can ride on a dry track. lol

17. Ronin9

Ronin9 Member

rain ride

rain riding a 160hp oiler takes finesse.. short shifting, brake early, gently turn in,stand her up to find the fat part of the rear tire and repeat :rock:
    I will be building a full track bike from a first gen 86 as soon as i finish my street track 1989 chassis.
    But oil riding , that should be left to the superhero's of the sport:)
    We should all wright letters to Dorna about this great idea, it would really save on race leather. :)
    They are always trying to cut cost and improve the Program?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012