Rich Oliver Pro Camp - opinons?

Discussion in 'General' started by antirich, Dec 20, 2010.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Thinking about doing his 4-day pro school this winter, for they cut the price quite a bit. I've heard some great things about his school a few years back, but nothing on the 4-day camp.

Anyone do it? Worth the money? Does it really translate to road racing like they say?

I did a 2-day supercamp a few years back, which I know is similar. Kind of fun, but a bit out of control. Can't really say it helped with the road stuff.

2. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

A friend of mine has done it two years in a row.

Sez its the Bees Knees.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

What didn't you like about Supercamp? What do you mean by out of control?

I've been thinking about doing that one for a few years now but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

4. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Yeah tell us more about it. Been thinking about it as well. Heard good things but not much insight on if it helped anyone directly with their roadracing. Seems like Colin Edwards started a similar thing in Texas but it not surprisingly more expensive.

5. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Well, my friend edge me into the race group, which was half older guys with something to prove, and 1/2 pre-teen flat track psychos. The group sessions got really aggressive, lots of suicide passes by everyone. The kids in general where pretty nutz, Danny had to get rough with a few of them, and they deserved it. I think they tried to get things in control, but it wasn't working that well. probably more to do with who signed up that weekend.

Overall it was fun, but i wasn't too thrilled with thier whole 'military' style teaching methods. Basically, they'll jump out in the middle of the track at a moments notice to yell at you, often whacking you with a stick or something. It's funny for about 10 minutes, then it just breaks your f'n concentration. I think I actually yelled at one of their instructors for doing that, for he almost made me run into a barrier.

So I'm paying $800 for someone to yell at me in public while i'm trying to learn. I've got a wife at home who'll do it for free :D

The final insult was sitting a whole 30 min. session out while they did an infomercial for each of their sponsors. I've been to quite a few bike schools and seminars, and i've never seen anything like that.

6. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

I hope you hit them back, as appropriate....

7. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

I've done non-racer and racer versions of Supercamp. Personally, I think the non-racer is a bit more relaxed than the racer group. The racer group has too many little kids who, well, are about as aggressive as they are roadracing. The non-racer group is more relaxed and I enjoyed it more (personally). The exercises are the same, just presented different.

As far as getting hit with sticks, it was barely noticeable to me. The push up's aren't fun, but it is what it is. My one friend is 300+ and says he can't do a push up. He's gone to Supercamp three times and never knocked a cone down.

If memory serves me correct, the commercial break is built into the course for the switch from big oval to TT. Without sponsors, the school would never survive. So, it seems to me that it gives them a chance for feedback and a chance to promote the people that make Supercamp happen during a scheduled down time.

For me (a shit novice rider), Supercamp was a huge improvement. It helped with "Oh Shit" moments. It helped me with feeling comfortable with the bike moving around. But most of all, it helped me to not be afraid of crashing. Which was a big problem since I had a tendency to bang myself up when I did crash. I'm not winning races (except at Loudon, but I believe their NV class is why) but I'm getting there.

The Mystery School looks pretty sweet though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Rich is awesome.

It's VERY different from what you describe above. Very low key, very friendly and when Rich starts saying things like, "Kenny taught me this drill..." you realize how legit it is.

There were no other club racers in my group - only guys who loved to ride and one old dude who won hare scrambles in his youth - he was FAST. Keep in mind, I didn't do the pro camp.

The camp is run out of Rich's house which is just South of Yosemite. It's beautiful up there. He has several tracks cut into his huge yard and you'll run on all of them. One of the best things you'll do is run around a 6' diameter circle that's all mud. It teaches you really quickly how sloppy your throttle control is.

You'll have one or more meals in his kitchen cooked by Karyn. She's also great and seems to not mind the parade of muddy moto-guys in her house.

Here's a pic of Rich riding behind me wondering why the hell my bike's not more sideways:

[​IMG]

And Rich showing off:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. jasong

jasong Well-Known Member

I just did the 2 day fun camp at Rich's place. The best money I ever spent. It was so much fun, and you learn alot about 2 wheel bike control. Rich and Karin are such good hosts. I will be back ASAP this year.
    I cant see how someone would be disappointed after taking his school.

10 out of 10!