05 SV650S Shock Swap Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SlvrDragon50, Mar 30, 2012.

1. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

I've got my 04 GSXR 600 shock in hand, just had it refilled with nitrogen to 200 psi ready to install..

I was reading a guide over on SVR though, they say that I need to either grind down the SV bottom shock bolt or install a GSXR-1000 bolt. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I've never done that particular swap but I have done others on the gen two and gen one, and there is very little room between the dog bones. So I'd say it has a good chance of being true. What's the problem with grinding it down. By the way, I hope you are changing the spring, the stock one is WAY too light for a gen two SV650

3. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

There's no problem. I just don't have the best workshop since I live in an apartment :P

I was talking to a mechanic nearby (who does lots of track set ups) and he recently installed a GSXR shock into an SV, but he didn't put in a new bolt or grind down the bolt. Although the shock he was using an 07-08 GSXR shock.

I don't think I'll need to change the spring since I only weight about 145 (+10 for gear). The SVR guide suggests ~430 spring rate for <160 lb rider.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Honestly, you probably need more like a 500

Penske would set up a 475, Traxxion a 500

That stock is way too soft

http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-Spring_Chart.php

5. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Oh wow.. Looks like I'll try and get a new spring.. I have a set of 0.90 Racetechs sitting in my room waiting to be installed as well. Just no time to install them.

Although, I'm not as big of a track day junkie as I'd like to be. Still a poor college student, only done one track day :/

6. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

What kind of mechanic installed a 07-08 GSXR shock on an SV650?

What they are talking about is the bottom bolt... On the SV shock that bolt threads into the clevis of the SV Shock...

On the GSXR shock you need to place a nut after the clevis of the GSXR shock... THE PROBLEM IS, that it may be too close to the dog bones on that side...

One thing you can do is place a washer between the dog Bone and the swing arm and the dog Bone and the rocker arm... This will give you some clearance for a standard size nut.

I would also recommend a little stiffer spring... at least a 450-475 lbs/inch

:D Luis

7. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Nice to see you Luis. Your presence is sorely missed on SVR :/

Luis, do you know if I can take the spring from another OEM shock or should I just wait for a hyperco shock to pop up on eBay or something? If I were going to spend 100 bucks on a spring, I woulda just bought a ZX10R shock.

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I've had no problems using a loc nut and grinding enough off the end to clear the dog bone. ( Also use loctite)

9. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Well, sadly I wasn't able to find a bolt locally to fit, and I don't have an angle grinder so I don't think I'll be able to grind down the bolt. If I had one of the shops do it I'd probably be paying more than it would cost to get a GSXR bolt in.

Thanks for the help though.

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

install it. mark it, take it out and cut it with a hacksaw

11. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

You will need a spring made for that shock...

I have try using other GSXR springs and they do not work...

The ZX10 shocks are about 7.5 mm longer and the bike rides better...

Luis

12. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

There haven't been any ZX10R shocks on sale on eBay for the past couple of months (that are reasonable anyways).

Could I just increase the pressure of the N2 in the shock? I currently have it at 200 psi.

13. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

If you do some searching on the Google, you might find sources for Eibach springs for coil over shocks for around 60 bucks shipped. Come in a range of sizes and poundage (think in 25 or 50 lb. increments), including the ever popular 2.25 id x 7 inch to fit Fox and Penske.

Course that was a couple years ago, no telling what prices are now.

Don't know what the GSXR shock uses, but they might have something to fit unless it is truly weird: different id on either end, something like that.

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Only if you don't mind blown orings and leaking oil.

15. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Well, the guy told me I could fill it up to 220 psi. But this is also the guy who fit the 07-08 GSXR shock on the SV...

16. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I would not trust that guy... He may have fitted it because a customer ask him to do it... But he should know better, than to install a 15 mm shorter shock... Contact Racetech and find out the correct Nitrogen PSI on the particular shock you have... Luis

17. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Okay. I looked around and it seems like the pressure is a tad high.. I think I will bring it to the mechanic to bring the pressure down to 180 psi.

I looked up the shock value on Racetech's site and they recommended that 430 lb/in is good for my weight... Is 500 lb/in going to be for a track only bike?

18. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

So is that to say I can use a penske spring on my old fox shock?

19. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Penske does recommend a 475 lbs/inch spring for your weight on a 2nd Gen SV650...

Luis

If fitment is OK you can run any spring you need... Valving has to be tuned to the spring for it to be able to control the energy stored in the spring... Usually you can tune it with the knobs on the shock... More spring more damping needed for both compression and rebound...

Luis

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Member

Well I found a 450 lb 7" spring. Do you know if this would fit teh GSXR shock? I'm having trouble finding a guide..

Not sure what the inner diameter is yet though.

(AKA, what dimension shock should I buy for the GSXR600 shock)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012