1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid America Truck Show

Discussion in 'General' started by yamahaareone, Mar 25, 2012.

1. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

Neat stuff.

LNG and CNG are coming, according to Freightliner.

The second picture is one of the show trucks. 2000HP.

Attached Files:

2. yamahaareone

LP, I meant.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The one in Louisville?

My office is directly across from Cardinal Stadium, where all the trucks parked. I had a hell of a time getting out of my parking lot last week (and I was on a bike)!

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The plumbing on that green one is just too much. What is in that thing, a Francis Wheel?

5. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Sequential turbos: Diesel exhaust feeds a smaller turbo, then the compressed air from the smaller turbo feeds the "exhaust" side of a bigger turbo, then on to the engine.

There are some *fast* diesel pickups at our local dragstrip, I was talking to a guy with a Cummins Ram with a set up like the pic:

Me: how much boost do you run?"

Him: "Not sure guage only goes to 70PSI" :wow:

:clap: :up:

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Damn! diesels are typically 20:1 compression ratio....with 70 psi feed and 20 times compression the pre-ignition pressure would be 1400 psi (ideal gas laws). Take the pressure times the piston area (30 in sq) and you get 21 tons at TDC under compression, half that at mid stroke where the torque on the crank is maximized. It's a wonder that they can keep the thing together.

7. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

As cool as that would be, exhaust spins up both turbochargers note the hose running from turbo 1 and 2 into the intercooler...

8. Repo Man

After looking closer - seems to be a central huge turbo (top center, shiney round thing) feeding compressed air to the exhaust side of the 2 smaller turbos, then the compressor sides of the small turbos feed the IC's.... I think. :p

Maybe. ;)

Same as I described, but in this case it *looks like* one biggie feeding two small.

I could be wrong, just ask my Wife. :eek:

9. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

I missed the big one on first look, you are correct.

10. Repo Man

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

is anyone thinkin' about the implications of a flammable gas in liquid form hangin' in the wind?
    it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

12. yamahaareone

Mean Green is not the truck shown in the picture above.

I do have some pictures of Mean Green and the transporter, though.

13. yamahaareone

Holy smokes!!! A flammable gas in liquid form hanging in the breeze!!

Oh, that would be every gasoline powered vehicle on the road.......

:Poke:

14. yamahaareone

Yes- that's the one. Good thing you were on a bike- at least you could maneuver in that traffic!

15. fastfreddie

apparently, you misunderstood the part about gas.

16. yamahaareone

Nope, I got it. Looks like you were the one who missed it!!!

17. fastfreddie

i wasn't talking about gas, as in gasoline.

i'll take a t-bone to a fifty gallon drum full of gasoline hangin' under my door over a t-bone to a 50 gal drum of liquified flammable gaseous substance under my door any day.

understand now or do you know something about compressed flammable gases that has eluded the rest of reality?
    :Poke:back at ya

18. yamahaareone

Yes, I got the gas thing.

Now, for compressed flammable gases:

Spray some LP on yourself. Ignite it.

Spray some gasoline on yourself. Ignite it.

:)

Might better check your reality, might need a re-cal!!!!

19. fastfreddie

are we gonna be sprayin' identical amounts of each liquid?

liquid gases are about 1/600th of their original volume.
    i'm not a chemical engineer but it seems to me, given the above fact, that 50 gals of liquid gases would be equivalent to 30,000 gals of gasoline.

would you want a 30k gal gasoline tank sittin' under your door?

i just see a dangerous oversight on the designer's idea for onboard fuel storage.
    might as well be storing gasoline in our bumpers.

20. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

I was there for 2 weeks setting up the lighting for the Navistar booth. I kinda hope to never go back to that facility, or go back and do it better next time. I don't want to be beaten by the kind of bullshit we had to put up with dealing with the show management for the Expo Center and the rigging company that we dealt with.

Some of that stuff was pretty impressive for sure. They had a flat opposed piston engine in the Navistar booth that was really cool. Looked like a BMW boxer twin engine, but had 2 opposed pistons in each cylinder. It was basically a supercharged 2 stroke. Put out 250hp/450ft./lbs of torque. Guy told me you can stack them as well to get more cylinders and they still weigh very little. You can kinda put them anywhere on a truck to take up less space.