1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?? for racers that travel alone

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by jackel151, Jan 22, 2012.

1. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

this question was glanced over a little, what if you're hurt and by yourself? what's the standard procedure on getting your stuff loaded and home?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you dont know anyone... putting your competition number on your ezup/pit/trailer will help.
    Most folks will graciously help load up your pit if you get injured.

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Folks around you will take care of loading it for you, especially if you've introduced yourself and shared a beer or three with them over the weekend.

Getting it all home is a little harder - depends on how far you are from home, who's going that way, who can you call back home to come get you, etc.

I've got racer friends that even if we didn't carpool, could get me pretty close to home.

Always best a) not to get transported and b) carpool. Sucks driving with broken bones but it can be done.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The posts pretty much cover it. I also always remove/turn off the lock from my phone when I'm at the track alone. That way, if bad outcomes prevail, whoever is picking up the pieces of me can get into my phone and find the ICE entry (In Case of Emergency) and give them a call to let them know what's going on.

However, erase the cookies and/or log out of all your Beebs on the phone, or you will find Phantom posts when you come to.

I also always have one of these on my helmet http://www.meds.org/mcyclehelmet.php filled out with accurate and up-to-date info.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

ICE is good idea as well as information with the toolbox/trailer

6. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

I know a racer that made the 1.5 hour trip home with her stuff, grabbed a friend, drove back to the track, and then back home again with another racers rig that had crashed that day. Much respect for going the extra mile! And usually something can be worked out.

But the best option is to try to find at least one person that wants to come with, hang out and have some fun that day...

7. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Alot of posts on here say to bring a buddy. But I just turned 53 and dont have a large circle of motorcycle minded freinds. At my age I have no illusions of grander. I hope I can atleast be fast enough to not get lapped by the experts in a 8 lap race. (god please dont let me get lapped by a 250 ninja)

Not all that worried about crashing as its got to be safer then riding the NC moutains by myself. Most rural roads I ride have zero run off and no cell sevice. Get it wrong and you might never be found.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Trey Yonce and Davrd Brown abnout 4years ago. LOL

9. Shenanigans

Come to Roebling in March too, David and i will be there.

10. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I'll be there - it will be good to finally meet you. :up:

11. Shenanigans

12. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Wera will have your emergency contact info from the race form.

13. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Keep an eye out for me - I'll be towing a little three rail trailer with a green Ford Flex with a silver top. I should get there early Friday evening.

14. randomwalker

randomwalker Well-Known Member

I'll be traveling/racing alone so lots of useful information in this great thread. I hope to meet some of you at Roebling next week.

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Under no circumstances should you leave your phone unattended in the paddock. Here's an example of why:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=288307&highlight=Pre+race+rituals

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Haven't seen you at the track last few times I have been and this is how you call me out? :moon:

:D

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Sit down today and write out a sheet that has your full name, address, and phone contacts of you and your "contact person" at home. Photocopy your medical insurance card and driver's license onto that sheet, then make several copies and stick them in envelopes. Write your race number and name on the outside and give one to the folks pitted on each side of you. Tell them where your truck and trailer keys can be found.

If you get hurt, somebody will be going to the hospital with you, they should have ready access to that information (WERA also has some of that info from your entry form.)

While at the track, keep your stuff shipshape, don't have it all piled into a jumbled mess. put away anything that you have finished using. I usually have my trailer mostly loaded by the middle of the afternoon of a race day, so that all I have t do is load the bike, stands, warmers and canopy t go home.

Most importantly, TALK to people around you, so they know who you are, and that you are traveling alone. You'll be amazed how often people will come over to put your stand on for you, bring you a sandwich, offer cooler space or a beer at the end of the day.

WERA is a family. A seriously dysfunctional family on some days, but a very close family nonetheless. It's why we treat each other with respect. One never knows who you might need help from.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Everything above is good advice. I have never been that thorough, but I also almost always pit with people I already knew from track days. I traveled alone, but I always knew at least one other person near by who knew where my keys were, my wife's name, and would take care of my dog if I took a bus ride.

The bottom line is that people will be happy to help, but making it easier on them is always appreciated.

With regard to loading and unloading a bike from a pickup on your own, that was one of the major reasons I got a 4x8 trailer... The lower deck and pit bull TRS make loading and unloading a one man job. Help is still appreciated, but far from necessary.

20. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

when i came back from my first trip to the hospital, my bike and genny and all my tools were loaded on my trailer and the trailer was hooked to my RV.

ive only been to shanonville racing, but everyone always helps everyone out there.