1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 AMA/WERA Mid-Ohio Vintage Races

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Hate McDead, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Just got this email today:

Hello, Racers!

Online entry is now available for the 2012 AMA Vintage Grand Championships, held as part of AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington, Ohio, on July 20-22. Below are the links for each discipline that we will host at this event.

Please feel free to contact us at (800) 262-5646 if you have any questions or concerns.

LINKS FOR ENTRY PAGES:

AMA Racing Vintage Dirt Track: http://www.xtrm.com/web/Promoter/Event/ ... Q==12abc12
    AMA Racing Vintage MX: http://www.xtrm.com/web/Promoter/Event/ ... A==12abc12
    AMA Racing Vintage Trials: http://www.xtrm.com/web/Promoter/Event/ ... g==12abc12
    AMA Racing Vintage Hare Scrambles: http://www.xtrm.com/web/Promoter/Event/ ... A==12abc12
    AMA Racing Vintage Road Race: http://www.xtrm.com/web/Promoter/Event/ ... hSLW3vdA==

Visit our website for additional event information at: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/eve ... acing.aspx
    Please use the attached entry forms ONLY if you are planning on paying with a check or money order and mail them to the AMA. (see address below)

If your AMA Membership needs renewed please contact AMA Member services at (800) 262-5646 or visit our website at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com
    *Online entries close on Sunday July 15th / Mailed entries close Friday July 6th
    * Everyone MUST purchase a General Admission ticket in order to gain access to the VMD events/races. AMA members can save money on advance tickets through May 28. The special prices of $20 for a single day admission or $35 for a weekend admission is available to AMA members only! Call the AMA for the discounted rate before May 28 at (800) AMA-JOIN. After May 28 General Admission tickets must be purchased through Mid-Ohio at http://www.midohio.com/Store/Tickets/Ev ... cycle-Days or at the gate.

ROAD RACE - Hot access passes for Crew members will be available at Gate 3 registration for $10. This will allow your mechanic past the gates in the paddock and into the “Hot Pit”.

American Motorcyclist Association, 13515 Yarmouth Drive, Pickerington, OH 43147
    Dr. Hate McDead
    Competition # 4
    AHRMA # 2061
    WERA # 11964

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I read a fair amount about the different classes earlier today. I have an FZR400 that runs DSS with WERA. It looks like I can run Stars LWT and/or Gen X Superbike LW. Can anyone confirm this? And will I get my ass handed to me in these classes? I just love that track but have never raced there.

3. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Gen X SBK LW for sure.

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

5. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

What the heck are the rules on Stars HW? Are we able to run slicks this year per WERA rules in all classes?

I thought Stars HW was a Superstock based class for 900cc and larger twins. But, with slicks, are they going to be allowed in this class?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tire rules will match WERA so slicks all around.

7. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Mongo,
    I need to register soon before we've blown the race funds on food and shelter. Lacking detailed class specs I was wondering if a V1 CB350 could run in Clubman 350 since discs existed on streetbikes before 1973. Or is that class equal to AHRMA Sportsman 350: Naked w/drum brakes? Or is it V1? Or something in between, naked w/discs?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn good question and I'll look for an answer but odds are good someone who already knows will post before I find out for sure next week.

9. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

There is a link on the AMA VMD website for the Supplemental Rules for Vintage Road Race, unfortunately, this year's pdf is only 8 pages, and does not have the full rules. I've emailed Ken Saillent at AMA to correct this, in the meantime, here is an excerpt from the 2011 AMA VRR SR's.

m. Clubman
    i. Engines: Internal modifications are allowed. Aftermarket heads are not allowed. Max over bore is 0.060”.
    ii. Carburetion: Period design. Honda‟s may not use CR style carbs.
    iii. Gearbox: Maybe updated maximum of 5 speeds
    iv. Frame: Must be of steel construction and period design. Aftermarket period design frames are allowed.
    v. Forks: 38mm maximum fork tube diameter.
    - 22 -
    vi. Brakes: Drum brakes required. Clubman 750 may use single sided disk up to 12” in diameter with period caliper.
    vii. Bodywork: No fairing allowed
    viii. Clip-on handlebars permitted.
    ix. Tires and Wheels: Minimum 18” spoke wheels with a max wide tire of 130mm. No slicks.

Stan

10. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Thanks Stan. I just need to know if the 2011 rules are still in effect for 2012, or if there will be any changes. I'd like to find 2 classes for the V1 bike, with a bump-up a little closer to V2 than 70's GP500.

The drum brake thing in AMA Clubman (AHRMA Sportsman) seems arbitrary. As WERA recognized with the V1 rule change, disc brakes were available long before the cut-off date, they just didn't really work any better than a real racing drum. As it is now in Sportsman and with Hondas in WERA 350GP/Formula CB etc, a bike can run a $2,500 4LS magnesium replica legally, but not an affordable disc. I put the single Brembo on the V1 bike for less than I spent setting up the T500 for 350GP. - the big 4LS Fontana gives the rider who can afford it as much power as a period disc.

I don't think that is exactly what the rules committees had in mind, but you can speak to that better than I can.

Maybe let Clubman 500 have a single disc, and let that be the V1 bump class?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

So Sean just to be clear. For V6LW to earn points at this even it would be in Gen X Superbike LW correct?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes. I'll try to get a 2012 cheat sheet together but I don't think anything will change from the 2011 version.

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Thanks so much Sean. Looks like I'll make the 16 hour drive. Track looks awesome.

14. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Kevin ran clubman 500 last year on the Rd with a disc. It pays V-2 points, I assumed anything legal for V-2 is allowed.

Sean, can V-2 legal disc braked machines run Clubman 500?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell if I know...

:D

If he ran it last year then I'd say yes it's fine. However, I'll try to find out for 100% sure. Hope to get caught up today/tomorrow and work on stuff for VMD.

16. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

Is there somewhere to find some real rules for this deal? I can't seem to find any worthwhile information as far as machine requirements, what's allowed to be modified, etc. Haven't run the VMD stuff before so have no previous years info available. Thanks.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 12 rules aren't done yet. Links to the 11 rules are in the other thread I believe. Working on the 12 stuff this weekend/next week.

18. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

V1 Kawasaki Big Horn. As I recall last year that two strokes were not allowed in Clubman classes unless I ran the 70's class. I remember there was a reason I didn't bother to enter at Mid-Ohio. I do plan to race WERA V1 this year on the 350 single Bighorn. It would be good if I could race at Mid-Ohio also.

19. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

A bighorn? That's great! Dave Crussel has won a few F250 championships in Ahrma on one. Fast bike.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - anyone got a link to the 11 rules handy? If not I'll track it down later today.

From those - any requests please get them to me via email - NOT a post here. I will need them ASAP so this week so I can get them to the AMA peeps in charge of the rules and see what if anything we can do.

Sorry about the short notice, been a messed up month on my end and totally my fault I didn't post this sooner.