1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby on the way. Accessories/equipment recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stumpy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Okay so baby boy #1 (Ethan Boyd Dantzler) is coming at the end of June and I want to make sure I get the stuff I need and that will actually be useful vs. the stuff I think looks cool... I know there are a lot of dads new and old here, so, voices of experience, what to get and what to avoid? Especially things like strollers, car seats, trash cans, etc. Help me out here guys...

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Diapers. Start buying them now. STOCK UP!!!! And dont worry about the crazy expensive super ultra tech diapers. But lots and lots of the cheap costco no name ones. The kid will be going through tons of them. And baby-wipes. The black tar shits that a newborn has is the stickiest, nastiest stuff known to man. Other then that, get him a pocket bike.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Diapers.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Cash.

Lots of it

5. backcountryme

And when you get that, you can get even more cash.

Oh, and start saving for broken shit. Broken windows, garage doors, tvs, computers, pets. If you think it can be broken, be ready to fix it or replace it. If you think it can't be broken, be ready to fix it or replace it. Also, don't kid proof your house. House proof your kid.

6. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Get a car seat that works in a stroller also. We had a Graco Snugride. Basically you buy a stroller frame (or 2) and a base for the car seat and you can use the seat for both.

Like this.

Cheap diapers suck. Huggies Overnites and Pampers for the day. I got so tired of the cheap ones ripping I just started getting the good ones. Stock up when they are on sale - always buy more than you think you need. Wipes too. Save all your old plastic shopping bags for diaper bags. We had a diaper genie in the garage for a while but I got sick of my garage smelling like shit so we just wrapped them in a bag and threw em in the trash.

Get a good comfy rocking chair for when you put the kiddo to bed. It's great bonding time and you want to be comfortable.

If you drink alot now, don't stop. Build up a good tolerance.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

As a first time parent with a 6 week old, here's what we've discovered:

Some diapers fit, some don't. Kid will ruin clothes if we put her in Huggies, but in Pampers she hasn't had a blowout yet.

You'll never be ready for everything that will come up. Don't stress yourself out over it.

If your son is colicky or spits up a lot and you're bottle feeding, try feeding with a little bit cooler formula/milk than body temp, and burp after every ounce he eats. Even then, you're still gonna get barfed on half the time.

Enjoy the hell out of it. As much of an adjustment as it is, it's still the coolest thing in the world to look at your child and know that you made that...then you freak out realizing you're responsible for it too! :D

Congrats on the new family. :beer:

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh yeah, and to bounce off Putter's info, get doggie doo bags to put the dirty diapers in. We've got a flop-top garbage can in the nursery and empty it once a week, and the room never smells.

9. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

When the kid is five don't let her dig around in the back of Darren's work van. She still has that screw or whatever it was she found in there.

10. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

If your baby mama isn't breast feeding, get a boppy for meals.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

1. Agree with Putter. The overnites hold more. And start buying diapers now. Whenever you go to the store, pick up a box and a box of wipes.

2. Pack and Play. These are portable kiddy holders and work awesome for taking the kid on trips, staying in hotels, and naps.

3. Get the kid used to noise. Run the sweeper, keep the TV going, etc.. The better off you will all be.

4. Have the Mrs. get involved in a mommy group. They all share clothes and you end up paying 1/4 of the cost.

5. Get ready if your wife plans to use a breast pump. I cannot describe the comedy, as well as the suffering. But just so you know to be prepared..LOL

12. backcountryme

Oh, DON'T GET THE KID STARTED ON A PACIFIER!!! God it sucked trying to get my first kid off one. My daughter never had one. And this came from our old Dr in Texas. Don't lay your kid down with a bottle. Hold them upright ish while you feed. A babies ear canal is basically flat. And adults slopes for drainage. If you lay your baby down with a bottle the sucking action can cause fluid to build in the ear canal and give them an ear infection. My son was always layed back while feeding and had quite a few ear infections. As soon as we started keeping him in a more upright position the infections stopped. But like Darren said, enjoy the little one. One day you will turn around and they will be 14 and looking at you like your the dumbest person on the planet while asking you for money.

I should clarify my cheap diaper statement. I meant for the first couple of months. When they start moving their legs good then get the good ones.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  13. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

Keep the camera handy and enjoy the ride.The first year may be a sleepless one.Go with your gut and dont be afraid to ask questions.Keep them warm dry and a full belly and he will be happy.Do everything you can to help the mommy and dont get frustrated when she starts barking orders.She squeezed a kid out the hoo-haa and will never be the same and she knows it. clean the house,do laundry,cook meals,offer assistance and all that stuff.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get the car seat that leaves the base in the car and get a spare base. Put one in each car. Makes life much simpler.

15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

16. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

:stupid:

that pretty much sums it up LoL

when buying car seats, spend a few extra bucks and get one that converts from rear to front to booster. my son has been using the same car seat for almost 4 years. we just got rid of it to buy him a smaller booster seat.

17. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Get one of the BOB strollers: http://www.bobgear.com/ :up::up::up::up::up::up:

Also a white noise machine to stick under the crib!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  18. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Lot of good advice. My reply may contain some of what others have said.

• car seat with the base.
    • stroller that holds the car seat
    • small umbrella stroller for when they get older (they're cheap and more maneuverable)
    • a ton of wipes!
    • the dog poop bags or any plastic grocery bag works too
    • you won't need all those receiving blankets you'll get
    • couple of packages of clothe diapers for the spit up. They'll be good cleaning rags later on
    • onesies!
    • the Costco diapers always worked for us
    • pack and play is one of the best inventions ever
    • if your wife is going to pump don't even buy the cheap handheld ones, just go ahead and drop money on the electronic milking machine.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Just to touch on what others have said....

Start buying diapers now. we're serious when We say this.

NO pacifier. Don't do it.

Go about Your regular daily lives. The kid will get used to it.

When We brought both Our kids home, We let Them sleep in Their bassinette in our room, with a small fan/noise machine running for a couple of days. Then We put them in their own room with the fan/sound machine about the third night. Our kids always slept through the night. We slept too.

If Your child is baldheaded like both of Ours were, buy a bright yellow T-shirt and take a magic marker and draw a thick jagged line across the front of it like Charlie Browns shirt. It got MANY laughs.

Take the child everywhere with You alone. Chicks dig dudes with babies.

Duct tape their socks to Their calves. They rip them sons a bitches off constantly.

I've got more but I haven't woke up good yet.

20. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Don't wax the bathtub for their first bath :D