Would your faith be tested?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Mar 15, 2012.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

FTFY. :up:

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Dude, everyone at one time or another thinks about the notion of God and the issue of 'faith' (used in a general sense here to describe religious things). and some people, if not in fact billions of people, don't buy into it. Don't get me wrong here, you can say/write whatever you'd like about God, Goddesses, Demi-Gods, and/or religion, i'm not interested in making fun of you. i might question what you write or challenge your beliefs, but that's not ridiculing you. As a 'believer,' why shouldn't you tell everyone about your beliefs? could that be your 'struggle'? Is it from fear of rejection?

3. charles

charles The Transporter

I have taken your sage advice, and have not only dropped to my knees, but also have placed both of my hands on the monitor, seeking to feel the divine power flowing through the wonder of the Gore-Net! so far I don't even feel even a slight buzz or anything, but I must persevere! I am waiting for your further instructions, Brother Darren!

4. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Appreciate that.

What I can say about my faith, is I can't explain it one little bit, it is just something I have always KNOWN, yes for me it is something I KNOW, without question. I suppose as sure as you are that you are sitting wherever you are.

I don't preach to people, I certainly don't tsk tsk tsk at people who claim to have no faith, I quietly pray for them that they may find the peace I know. I understand some of them may claim they already know I peace I can't understand, it's all good with me. I don't have faith for the purpose of thinking or living or espousing that I am somehow "better" then you or that you are somehow broken (if that is the way it was taken) and I am saved.

I am indeed broken, I sin every day, and I ask for forgiveness every day and the strength to be a better Christian tomorrow, and yet I fail every day, for me, that means I am broken. I am aware God sees me as perfect, as I see him.

There is no judgement of anyone about this subject, by me. I am simply conveying MY BELIEFS, and not ridiculing anyone else's.

I am happy to "fight" with you all day about motorcycles or politics or whatever, on faith, you won't find me thumping my chest and telling anyone that THEY are wrong and I am right.

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, a breakthrough moment in the history of mankind! Now, let the floodgates of belief open wide, just like Moses parting the Red Sea!

If anyone has anything to say, now is the time to stay it! We know not what tomorrow may bring!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously Jimmy - I do think that is great. It's not for me personally but I can understand why people want/need faith and why it works for them. I also appreciate the explanation without the preaching, as far as I understand the bible and more importantly the actual teachings of Jesus per Christianity, that's exactly how it is supposed to be. A sharing of your faith per the book isn't shoving it down someones throat, it's leading by example more than anything.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Today will bring Sportsman races and BBQ for lunch. Tomorrow will bring National races but the Q is highly unlikely since I'm already hungry for lunch :D

8. pickled egg

Tell that to the Witlesses that knock on my door. :mad:

Actually, haven't had a visitor from the Kingdom Hall for quite a while. I think they blacklisted me. :D

9. charles

charles The Transporter

i was just most curious as to how you arrived at the notion that those who have 'little or no faith' that they were somehow 'struggling.'

Okay, since you indicated you were 'broken,' may i ask in what form does this 'breaking' take place? how does it manifest itself?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have, they don't visit me either :D

11. YZFBeliever

I have no fear of rejection. If I did I would never have weighed in on this topic as I did.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

You're not paying attention is why you are struggling with those disciples! Had you paid attention, and read the Watchtower mags, you would know that they are all in transition to the docking area to be beamed up to their Mothership.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Hit me then, at least two times, with all the skinny on the faith thang.

14. YZFBeliever

Thanks, appreciate the question.

My reference to people who struggle was based on my personal experiences and the specific word used. I am married to a woman who believes in a higher power (God) and "struggles" (her word) with the wisdom of, for instance, a bus accident that kills dozens of children. I have been very involved in my church throughout my life, many times discussing faith with people of varying degrees of that faith. The word "struggle" is a very common one.

As for my wife, I don't preach to her either, if she asks a question I answer it as best I can as to how my faith has influenced my life. She rarely asks questions of faith :D

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Okay, now i get it much better...well, perhaps those people 'struggle' with trying to understand why a tragedy would take place because they might believe that their god (or goddess) would not permit such a travesty. Could that be it?

16. pickled egg

Jimmy, I must urge you with every ounce of strength in my being to resist the impulse to engage Brother Charles in meaningful dialog vis-a-vis matters of faith.

Love him as I do all my brothers, but the man is flawed; broken, if you will, in his insatiable desire to probe the deepest inner recesses of the minds of men. He is not evil, not by any means, but his probing will prove to be uncomfortable for you. He has an uncanny ability to make you doubt you're wearing shoes when you're looking at your favorite wingtips upon your feet.

Someone needs to plant a Red Wing in his derriere to teach him a lesson, but we've yet been able to explain to his satisfaction for what he is being corporally punished. :confused:

17. YZFBeliever

I think yes, I think it a very understandable idea that someone would ask:

Why would a good and just God ALLOW (or cause) such a travesty to happen.

I COMPLETELY understand this sentiment, and I readily admit that I too have at times in my life STRUGGLED with that question.

18. YZFBeliever

Darren, I appreciate your concern.

LUKE 23:34 <----------sorry I had to :Poke:

19. YZFBeliever

Carry on boys and girls, heading out to play with my kids.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

See? This is it, isn't it! So, next on your list would be to determine if in fact, judging from whatever reasonable evidence you have, that this God was "good and just." So how did that work out for you? What conclusion came out of your inquiry?