Real costs of getting into cycling?

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

I want a fixed gear for the exercise. Thanks for the help guys. I found one yesterday that seems to be regarded higher but still isn't outrageous priced, the Kilo TT Pro. Think I'm gonna try that route. Still can't picture myself wearing the cycling getup though...

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The highest cost is your dignity.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Get mountain bike shorts. They're baggy on the outside and I think still lined with a chamois to keep your taint from getting rubbed raw.

4. truckstop

truckstop Well-Known Member

Yep, just get padded MTB shorts and a t-shirt if you want.

I didn't like dressing up in a sausage casing at first either, I certainly don't have a good figure for it, but found it to be more comfortable for long rides so vanity be damned. No extra fabric flapping around, no bunching etc and wicking fabric is nice. (talking about long road rides here) Nobody says you have to wear it though.

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I was the same way at first. Now I love the stuff. It's a lot more comfortable, plus you're not out there to look good anyways.

6. roadracer669

roadracer669 Well-Known Member

Just buy mine. built this and one for wife after she lost her leg(drunk driver hit her on a motorcycle) thinking we would ride bikes to get back in shape after she got a new leg but she can't do a lot of stuff she would like to and I don't ride the road bikes, prefer MTB.

FELT CARBON 54cm Frame Forks seat post
    Spinergy Carbon wheels with new Maxxis tires
    FSA Carbon cranks
    Specialized carbon saddle
    Bianchi Carbon stem
    Ritchey ergo bars
    Crane Creek headset
    Ultegra Shifters derailures brakes
    Speedplay pedals and cleets included
    cateye computer
    almost everything on the bike is NEW

asking $1300 cash or interested in trades like gold,silver,guns,coins but need the cash to go towards wifes new leg adjustments as we have no insurance. I have all new gear as well if it fits the buyer. Can change the saddle if needed.

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Which model Felt? Pics?

8. roadracer669

roadracer669 Well-Known Member

T700S. Built it while she was finishing up at UF so Gator colors and also it's a few years old but not a lot of seat time. I only rode it about 35 miles.

Attached Files:

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Do you mean single speed (one speed but you can coast..) or actually a real fixie (if the rear wheel is spinning, so is the crank)?

If you ride a fixie make sure you put the following sticker on your car... "If I ride a fixie and no one sees me....am I still cool??"
    I try to understand the whole fixie thing.... but cannot. Single speed i get..fixie, not so much.

10. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Two reasons:
    1. A fixed gear will correct any poor form in your pedal stroke and imbalances in your left leg/right leg power. Most people have a serious dead spot in their pedaling that is nearly impossible to correct on a free hub bike. You will learn to pedal more efficiently with a true fixed gear bike. Lots of road racers use them for winter training. They just put a front break on the bike and hit the roads.
    2. Racing at the velodrome.

I have one for reason #2, but I haven't taken it on the road yet.

A true fixed gear (track) bike also typically has a shorter crank arm than a road bike, allowing you to spin a higher cadence slightly easier than on a road bike - which is important when you are trying to spin at 140RPM.

If you want to improve your cycling technique and your power/efficiency, ride a fixed gear. Just be prepared to bust your ass a time or two.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yep he hit it dead on....

After I rode mine the first time I was like WTF.. I need a freewheel.... But after a few rides I love it now... Your legs are constantly moving and it lets you keep a much more controlled pace... Braking is tricky downhills because your legs will be moving as fast as your wheels.. Be carefull..

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about track bikes being fixed gear.

Isn't riding a fixed gear bike harder on the knees, especially older knees?

13. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

FYI, he is a she, hence the "ette" at the end of Strick!! :tut::D

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Just put a brake on the fixie for riding on the street. Simple fix...

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Good looking Felt!