1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me about: Flat trackin'

Discussion in 'General' started by SGVRider, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I've recently become interested in racing flat track. Well, honestly, it makes me really happy in my pants. I'm familiar with motocross and road racing, and the expenses, machinery, and equipment involved in both. I don't know much about flat track, though, other than that I want to do it. My attraction to it is that it's bad ass, and seemingly cheaper than road racing.

What does it take to start racing flat track, equipment and expenses wise? I would like to participate in the Southern California Flat Track Association series in Perris. Is anyone familiar with it? I have no prior experience in dirt, only road, what would be the best way to start out? How much would it cost to build or purchase a decent machine (my requirement is that it work well and be durable, I don't care about pretty or fancy)?

Are there other options for racing flat track in Southern California?

I'm going to go down there this weekend to the practice session they're running and check it out, but what does the wide world of WERA think?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

Best way to start out would be to call up Rich Oliver and sign up for his Mystery School. :up: You'll learn A TON and have more fun than you ever though possible on a TTR 125;)

:beer:

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Paging Tdub, paging Tdub to the white courti..; :)

More experienced people than me will surely chime in here soon but here goes what I can recall from similiar threads.

1. Just show up and try it! There will be plenty of help from other racers if you have questions on technique and tactics.
    2. If you really want to learn how to get all slide-y at a school check out American Supercamp www.americansupercamp.com and Rich Oliver's Mystery School www.richoliver.net Two of the best schools on the subject. Another one, but it doesn't come near you in CA is http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html
    3. I'll be no help on equipment and costs. Close as I come is supermoto, and all my knowledge there is out of date.
    4. Check out Flattrack.com Good group of flat trackers from around the country, and world there.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

It is usually cheaper to buy used.Late model 250/450 can go for $2500-4000. If you want to build yourself, get a used late model 250/450 mxer and modify the suspension ($500-750) and wheels ($750-1000 w/tires) and go race.
    I would be happy to help with any questions.

Or you can shoot the wad like I did with this one...only had $14K in it, but it was top of the line GNC ready to race.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I did the American Supercamp school and got addicted before lunch. My issue is a lack of opportunity. If you have an opportunity with the California league then I'd jump on it. I don't think I've ever had more fun on 2-wheels.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Tdub, how does the riding style differ from 2 strokes to 4 strokes? Would it be alright to start off on a 2 stroke? They're generally much cheaper.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

8. 703motogp

703motogp Well-Known Member

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup, SEMDTRA.

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Ahhhh, I only knew about Coleridge and a very limited series a local shop is running. Thanks for the link fella's! :beer:

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

When I was working with up and comers, I always told the dads that starting out on a 2stroke was always a good thing. Just the fact that they are more difficult to ride well, they teach good throttle control and body position out of necessity. Some were more interested in instant results with the 4 stroke because they are much easier to ride, but in the long run I believe a rider that starts with a pinger will make a better rider. JMO

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Mike has a great school!!

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep.

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

+2 My experience is with MX but same principle. Honestly 4T MX bikes are so easy to ride that they take the fun out of it for me.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Flat Track is an absolute BLAST!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used to run Short Track at the old Ross Downs track in Fort Worth on my 250 DT-1. Tried a half mile at the track North of Denver and learned that a 501 Maico had lots more motor than I had balls...

http://vimeo.com/32119508

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Can any tell me how old Nicky was in the photo? And how old he was the first time he rode it?

[​IMG]

18. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I just started building a 450 DTX bike. 2500 for the bike, 1200 wheels and tires and I have a friend doing my forks and shocks. Overall its not too bad to get in to a new sport. Can't wait to get my bike done and get to riding. :)

19. 703motogp

703motogp Well-Known Member

Yes he does! I went twice already and the 2012 dates just came out!

Attached Files:

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Tdub, I honestly can't tell you.I picked up the picture from an ongoing thread in another forum. Nicky was way after my short track times.