1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penske Shock Install

Discussion in 'Tech' started by madman748, Jan 14, 2012.

1. madman748

madman748 I'm your huckleberry

I'm planning on ordering a Penske Double Clicker shock for my K6 750 track bike. The service manual would have me tear into the bike to remove the old shock and install the new Penske. For those who may have done the upgrade on a K6/K7 is that the case? How much has to actually be removed to get the new one installed. If using the remote reservoir, where does it mount?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brett

2. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I have a penske double on my 08 750.

It is two bolts to remove and reinstall the shock. This takes maybe 10 minutes. I lift the bike with jack stands on the woodcraft pegs.

For the res I put it where the passenger foot peg is using two hose clamps.

Some guys buy premade clamps for under the bike behind the shock.

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

There are a couple ways to mount. BRG racing makes some nice clamps.

http://www.brgracing.com/

look under two wheel products for "shock bottle holder"

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

+1 here. K7 750 .did not take long at all. i used bike stands on the swing arm and hung the bike from the ceiling on the subframe. it made it easy to adjust stuff in and out.

1 thing i do remember as being a PITA was the lower bolt for the shock mount. it seems like it had to be flipped as far as which side the nut went on to clear the aftermarket muffler. It has been a while since I've done it so I may be remebering the bolt wrong

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Piece o cake man. Good time to grease the linkage too.

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yep...super easy. I use a hose clamp on my remote res.

7. ttc

ttc Well-Known Member

8. madman748

madman748 I'm your huckleberry

Thanks for the feedback. Outside of the obvious, I was hoping not to have to remove a tons of things. The service manual lists the following:

1.Front seat
    2.Fuel tank
    3.H2O sensor lead wire
    4.Under cowl
    5.Exhuast muffler
    6.Rear wheel
    7.Rear brake hose
    8.Rear brake hose guide
    9.Side stand switch
    10.Rear brake res

It looks like they remove the shock through the space between the left side foot peg and the subframe.

Is all of that necessary? Just wanting to know how much time to devote to the upgrade. You know... gotta cover the honey do list first...:D

9. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

is any of it in the way?

vince
    :D

10. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

all of that shouldnt be necessary.

Support bike by pegs (assuming you have aftermarket non-folding pegs)
    Remove top and bottom bolts holding shock on
    Try to remove, see what (if anything) is in the way and remove anything in the way

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The linkage is in the way of the bottom bolt, the brake res is partially in the way of the top bolt. That's all you have to bother with. You don't even have to remove the brake res if you don't want to. It's a Suzuki not a Yamaka. :p

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:stupid: Support the bike by the pegs with jack stands, get in there and look at the bolts holding the shock in place and just remove.
    It really is that easy.

I reverse some of the bolts on the install...it just gives you more room to get the bolts back in.

Got an '07 1000 and coupla' 07 600's with Penskes.

13. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I have an Ohlins TTX and I take it off and put it back on all the time. Remove the top bolt and the bottom bolt. I remove the two bottom bolts on the subfame and loosen the top two so I hav extra room at the top. I need to do this because the reservoir is attached on the Ohlins. You probably won't have to do that with the remote reservoir Penske. When installing feed the bottom bolt from left to right.

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

You probably will have to remove one of the dog bone bolts to get the lower bolt out. Three bolts total. Top, dogbone, bottom. No need to do any of the other stuff. On the GSXR1000 just two bolts.