1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMC-Rotax 250 (two-stroker)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by charles, Jan 4, 2012.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

A bike I once owned is up for sale, just thought someone here might be interested in a rare one- a genuine EMC-Rotax 250 w/IoM history; it handled very nicely indeed and plenty of power from the Dr. Joe Erlich-modified Rotax 256 motor...brought to my attention today, it's on eBay,just type in:

(item #) 190622042562, or...EMC Rotax 250.

It's up in NY, and the current owner's phone number is included in the advert.

So don't say 'there's nothing out there for sale'.....Go get this one!

2. peterz84

peterz84 Well-Known Member

Geeez Charles, how'd you let that one get away from you? You're killing me here, honey of a rig man:up:

Wish I was rich instead of so damn good looking:crackup:

Pete

3. THIRTY4

THIRTY4 Well-Known Member

Charles,

We need to talk.

Don

4. charles

charles The Transporter

Send me a PM...amiable I be if nothing else!

5. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, I was moving to another assignment and the EMC, along with a Fahron-long rod stroker TZ350 (372?) and the Zegers TC500 sat in the garage gathering dust...three gents from NY came down and bought the TZ and the EMC, which then both sat for over a decade never raced...I shipped the Zegers to England where I raced it a few times (Ulster, Mallory, and Donington) then sold it to a Brit with an extensive collection of TZ's, all former factory and team GP bikes (and a Harris-ROC 50O with IoM history). To his credit, he raced some of those bikes but not the Zegers, which I assume is still sitting, gathering dust...ashes to ashes, dust to dust....;)

6. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

Great plug for the EMC. As you rode the bike maybe you can answer a question about power delivery. Is it a light switch kind of power like the old piston port two strokes or like some of the GP level rotary valve singles???? TX parillaguy

7. charles

charles The Transporter

The power delivery was smooth with a steady and strong 'surge' of power coming in around 6,000 on up, not at all like piston port stuff; yes, it was rotary-valve but not like an RG500, which gave a violent ultra-fast rush of power, the 'light switch' type power you reference. The EMC-Rotax had pneumatic power-valves and they could be adjusted, to give, I suppose, a selection of where you wanted the power to start or maybe even sign off, I don't know for certain as I didn't experiment. In sum, it had 'manageable' strong power that makes for a smooth racing style.

The handling was the quickest of any bike I rode. It was almost scary, just nudge it and it would drop right in. There were inserts for the steering head/triples to change the geometry to suit your style. Again, I didn't have time on the bike to experiment. Pity......

I 'plugged' it, as you say, because some people say there's nothing good or different out there. Well, this one is, and if you know how to keep it maintained, it will reward you. It's different and it's unique. Find another one like it in the U.S., I double-dare you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. m111tch

m111tch Member

Fat bloke from the uk

This sounds like the Charles i used to know!!!!!!
    If it is ? then I raced your Zegers when it was in the US and when it landed back in the UK .
    Hi Charles this is Paul now retired from racing as I crashed my ex Roberto Pietri Yoshimura GS1000 at Barber vintage festival in Oct a few weeks ago really knocked myself about .
    Glad to see you are still about ,hows Gretchin?
    Best regards Paul

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Paul you old bodger :up: I heard about several crashes there at Barber- I couldn't attend- and one of them was you! Barber can bite you if you're not careful...Explain it to me sometime...did your brother come over or just you?...send me a 'PM' (click on my name)...and, yes, the ball-and-chain is just peachy...

***For the readers here, Paul Gaskin is the proprietor of Gov'nors Bridge Motorcycles in the U.K. (Midlands), and has raced some of the exotic bikes mentioned on this thread. A good lad and fast on two wheels. Give him a ring if you're looking for vintage stuff.

10. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

So here's a little story that is relevant here. In 1982 we moved from Hemel Hempstead to a little village called Northall in Bedfordshire (next county over). The village has one petrol station (esso), one small shop and two pubs. I was filling up my DT125 one day at the station and could here and smell a sweet sounding two stroke bike being revved up behind the Esso. I walked back only to see some older guy warming up a GP bike. After a little chatting it turned out the guy was the Dr. himself and the race shop where he built the EMC Spondon/Rotax bikes was right there next to his house. I late became friends with his grand daughter but never really pursued anything more. Beer and girls were more of my life back then. Hejira racing was about 20 miles away in an old farm house, did pop in there once to buy a seat.

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I seem to recall Steve Taylor had an Armstrong 250 in the early 80's when we raced at Grattan and other midwest tracks. It had the Pnuematic power valve rotax in it. Steve and his dad Fred made that thing go pretty good.

Ken

12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Fred Taylor could really work some two stroke magic back in the day. I bought his 1981 rd 350 lc back in early 1985. that was the fastest 350 on the tracks back then. I still have it , it needs to return back to the track soon. Fred made some custom pipes for it and when it got above 9,000 rpm those pipes sounded like no other, and that thing just took off :wow: :D

13. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Definietly bring out the Lc! :up:

14. oljackboy

oljackboy Active Member

There is (was?) a fish and chips shop directly across the street from Guvernors Bridge Cycles that was completely unbelievable. Served it up in newsprint, place was a fog of grease. Spectacular.

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Yep, just as you said...the portion size was humongous...did I mention the grease? Even the wrapping paper was greased up! I think they used Castrol A747 for cooking...what were ya doing over there?