Cats flea treatment

Discussion in 'General' started by Greg S, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Shave a strip down the center of the cats back. Make sure it's all the way down to the skin. Now set the hair on both sides of the strip on fire. When the fleas jump for the clearing stab them with an ice pick.

This is a 100% fool proof method. Guaranteed the cat will no longer scratch itself after this procedure is performed as long as you follow the instructions precisely.

I kid....I kid. You can skip all the shaving and fire and just use the ice pick. :D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It has fleas, not crabs

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's probably got those too.

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've heard snapping a set of jumper cables to the cat electrocutes the fleas. :D

5. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

The ear mites it possible we did an ear treatment about a year ago and it seems she only scratches her right ear and her head by the top of that ear. I will make an appointment and see what up thank you everyone for all the advice!? The vet precrisbed revolution for cats 5.1-15 lbs and her third dose is tomorrow we have been vacuuming once a week since the first week and throwing the bag away we threw away her bed and haven't bought a new one yet she sleeps in our bed for now but we change the sheets and wash in hot water once a week... Edit it says on the revolution box "administer once a month for protection against fleas and heartworm disease and treatmenr and control of hookworms,roundworms, and ear mites."

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Should not be ear mites then.

If your vet did not do those simple tests find a new one.

7. Muddy

Muddy Well-Known Member

I just got 2 cats. We used revolution for the first month as a free sample from the vet. I still found fleas on them. I then used frontline and it worked great. That is until my girlfriend took them to go play with other cats in the house, whose owner just said they had fleas, while I told her no, don't do that. She still did it and now they have fleas again and I have to go buy another batch of frontline.

fing girls

8. Haywood

Haywood Well-Known Member

This. :up:

Powder the floor and then brush it in with a broom. Wait a day or three and then vacuum the floor. Do this every two weeks until the fleas are all gone.

The Borax pulls the moisture out of the carpet and the eggs won't hatch without moisture.

The cats would roll around on the freshly powdered floor and it never seemed to have any ill effect on them, fyi.

I lived at the beach for a few years and after getting it under control, I only Boraxed the place once every six months or so.

9. Bugman

Bugman Well-Known Member

Don't do what has been suggested.

1. Treat the pet with a veterinary prescribed product.

2. Treat the premises with a flea treatment product such as Ultracide or the newer chemistry Alpine Flea Insecticide with IGR. Both products contain an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.

There is minor preparation that should be done prior to application and certain things that should be done afterward (primarily vacuuming)...PM me if you want a prep sheet.

10. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

This is why I don't dare post anything about cats on this forum :D

But for this one exception:

Revolution is pretty strong stuff. Do you see any physical fleas on the cat? They shouldn't be hard to find. Bites should be bright red dots, although it may have scratch marks in the same area.

Your cat may also have dry skin. Do you have forced hot air heat?

And yea, food allergy is another issue. My wife's cat has that issue, had to remove grain from her diet (the cat, not my wife :p)

The stuff in most grocery store brands is based on the left overs from human food manufacturing. So basically if it's not good enough for 5 cent a pound Walmart hot dogs, it goes to animal food. Good way to add to your bottom line, but no so great for the pet.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

:stupid:

this. cats clean themselves constantly. anything you put on them, or the floor, they will ingest. not good.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why wouldn't you use Borax? It works and it's cheap. As effective as Ultracide or the others, same boric acid as a lot of the commercial pest control companies use.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing I suggested will harm an animal in any way - or I wouldn't have posted it ;)

14. Bugman

Bugman Well-Known Member

Specifically which Borax product & commercial pest control company are you referring to?

Where is your efficacy data from?

BTW I am the owner of a commercial pest control company.

15. Bugman

Bugman Well-Known Member

Also, do your pets a favor and avoid using permethrin products on them...again, there are safer, more effective products available.

16. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

My anti flea experiences....

Took in a stray a few years ago and my parents took in two last year.

1. Vacuum Vacuum Vacuum

2. Flea Comb - When doing this have a party cup ready with water and Dawn. When you see a flea in the comb, remove it and throw it in the cup. Kills them instantly.

3. Bath Cats with Dawn - We were lucky and didn't have any battle damage..

4. Spray house with Flea Spray - We used Raid Flea spray and some High $$$ from the Vet.

5. Program Injections Birth Control for Fleas

6. Front line for spot treatment - Be careful of any offbrands. The doseage will be wrong and you can harm your cat. Cats become lethargic and unresponsive if they react badly to any spot treatment.

Todd

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011