1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autocad Question

Discussion in 'General' started by EXKid, Sep 3, 2003.

1. EXKid

EXKid Well-Known Member

Does anybody out there know how to export attribute properties of a block to a useful format such as a CSV file? I'm pretty sure that it can be done but I'm not sure how.

thanks

2. JKABLE

JKABLE Active Member

What version of AutoCad are you running?

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

From what I remember from browsing a manual I think you have to create an ASCII file, extract it and then import it into the program you want. I'm not sure that it allows you to import it into CSV but if not you'll have to try to go through an 'intermediate' program. I'm not sure if this is the same with all versions but I'm pretty certain this is the way with 2000. I'll try to find my manual and check it out properly.

4. puresportsdesigns

puresportsdesigns Yea, I guess

I use similar programs in my Sign shop. I have a 4' x 8' CNC mill in my shop and I export .dxf files to use from one program to the other.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.

5. FATDUMBNHAPPY

FATDUMBNHAPPY Well-Known Member

Give me a day to try it and I tell ya, I hope.

If you find out before let us all know

6. EXKid

EXKid Well-Known Member

I'm running version 2000. What I'm trying to do is find a way to more efficiently create parts lists and BOM because that part of my process here at work is grossly inefficient.

I managed to get a .dxx file to extract but I don't really know what to do with that. The text is there but it isn't deliminited by tabs or commas.
    type command "ATTEXT".

7. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

A guy here at work is a wizard with Autocad, Access, and Visual Basic. He's created a program (in Access) that does exactly what you want. It's too complicated for me to describe here, if you want to contact him directly, let me know.

We are currently using version 2000i (Acad), and Office 2000.

8. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

AutoCad Sucks you dinosaur

Go with Unigraphics or Pro E..

9. EXKid

EXKid Well-Known Member

Don't bother preaching to the choir.

10. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Well I got AutoCAD 2000 myself. Used to use autocad like 6 years ago, when it was the heat.

3-D modeling is so much easier in newer software like Pro-E or Unigraphic.

My company uses unigraphics so now I prefer that one.

Bad side is cost. I got a copy of Autocad from a friend.
    I can t get a copy of the goodies.

With the new packages you can model, do stress analysis, and generate CNC-code all in one packege, for a price.

Some do convert other formats better than others. Dxf gets hairy sometimes, can you use iges files?

11. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

The difference in price between Pro-E and Autocad is an order of magnitude. You might as well suggest he buy his own Space Shuttle as get a copy og Pro-E. Not too many folks have $50,000 to spend on software.

12. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I almost got hooked up with the student version.

It is $200 does all the modeling but prints student when you do a plot. No big deal.

Well that was 3 years ago, but still there are student versions available.

SHHHHHhhhh. I found something on Kazaa. with mechanica
    but I'm scared to open it.

13. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Dude!! open that f*cker and let u know how/if it works. I'm currently running the Dinosaur release 2002 and would LOVE to get a copy of Pro-e. Although I haven't used it since I graduated (almost 3 years ago:eek: )

GStar

14. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Sure let me be the guinea pig.
    I'll tell you what I got some CDs
    I'll send you a present

15. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Yeah, I'd like a copy of ProE too, but I don't want to be hookin' on the corner to afford it!

I second that "boot that f*cker up" motion.... :D

16. FATDUMBNHAPPY

FATDUMBNHAPPY Well-Known Member

I never tried Pro-E but would love to see why you guys like it so much, send me a copy:D