1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama 4th best president ever

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Dec 20, 2011.

1. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

He was in tune with the possible threats to the the American people during that time period by having the FBI keep close tabs on Elvis, Sinatra and John Lennon. :D

2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Which Harrison? William Henry or Benjamin?

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or weaker morals and had tossed his workers under the bus.

4. sheepofblue

But the fact is he could have not opened up the relations as president. Certainly there was timing there but then there always is.

On a side note I had an instructor in school that went with him on trip one, dude was SUPER fascinating. We actually had class canceled for a time so he could in his words 'go pick up Scud parts' though the reality is he was not technical merely a governmental expert. I think he was assessing the Israeli reaction if I was guessing.

5. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

RE: Nixon.
    Dave had mentioned arrogance. My post was referring to arrogance. I failed to quote the proper person. My bad.

Given his strong anti-Commie stance, Nixon had the arrogance (some would call it boldness) to intiate diplomatic relations with the ChiComs.

Thinking he could have gotten away with the mess that was Watergate was also arrogance.

As far as "driving the North to the table", the only agreement reached between Hanoi, the VC, Saigon and Washington was the shape of the negotiating table. That was reached in 1968 during LBJ's term. Nixon got serious when he wanted the US involvement in Vietnam War to end by the '72 elections.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Nixon closed the gold window.

What is your dollar worth now compared to then?

Let's dig his ass up and hang him for treason. :down:

7. sheepofblue

Prior to the massive printing of money under Obama (and mostly still) a LOT! The general standard of living has so far advanced since then that most 'poor' people now would have been middle class (I know I was one of that group in the 60's). The price of oil while way up is not that out of line with inflation which still occurs on a gold standard. The biggest thing a floating currency gives is the better ability to manipulate it for short term benefit (or if you print like Obama has, long term harm). The tool is not the issue as it is better than gold. The issue is those that think OPM should be treated differently than their own.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I'll respectfully disagree, my ungulate friend. :beer:

Our "standard of living" is now rife with debt, governmental leviathans and dependency, and is in precipitous decline.

Removing the last vestige of a basis of value for our currency ushered in the big spending/big borrowing/big printing era that will be our downfall.

I don't blame Nixon specifically for it. I blame Wilson, that cocksucker set the wheels in motion.

9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Once again a thread is directed away from Obama the Wonderful...blasphemy.
    Arguing about the weather when there is a gun barrel at your temple. Focus sheeple focus.

10. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

When the general populace is saying that Obama is worse than Carter and Obama thinks he's among the top 4 greatest presidents (Mind you that its Obama's list of Great Presidents) there's a serious level of disconnect here. Either 320 million of us are too stupid to see his greatness as President or someone needs a slap and a phych evaluation....

11. sheepofblue

Darn that crafty Darren.... or is it my attention span.....is the barrel chrome plated or blued....

12. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

You know it was the previous President who started piling on debt with two unfunded wars, tax cuts, and bank bailouts, right?

I'm not saying Obama hasn't done his part, but that people put this 100% on Obama is beyond me. The idea that Republicans can do no wrong is really getting old. People fucked up -- and continue to fuck up -- on both sides of the aisle.

13. sheepofblue

Run the numbers. As bad as Bush was Obama has done more in 3 years than Bush did in 8. Further there is no sign that the extreme deficits will decline for a LONG time even under the administrations rosy predictions.

As to printing money to buy our own debt via the fed that was something that Bush did not do while Obama has done a ton of it. The gamble is that buying the debt keeps interest rates down and we can recover before inflation sets in from the print job, something likely to fail.

Back on Bush I think you will find I was 100% against the bailout and while I disagree with how the wars were executed at times I supported them. Obama on the other hand was a HUGE critic of the war he is now claiming victory on, this 3 years after he promised to just pull out.

But hey Bush was not top 4 just ask Obama :rock:

14. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Debt doesn't begin with the cutting of our taxes...its Government spending money in excess of intake that creates debt. Why can't anyone on the left ever see government spending as an issue to contend with?

15. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Because if the Demo's aren't doling out the dollars to their constituents, they'll have party mutiny on their hands and then no more votes for Obama-the-Great or whoever else they are foisting on us at the time.

16. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Right, you would think after all this time that they would know what works and what does not work. Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it!

17. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Agreed, they are both bags of shit who created many problems for our country. There is much work to do, and very few people have the vision or desire to change it.

No kidding, but you shouldn't cut taxes while you simultaneously ramp up spending, which Bush did. I'm not on the left. I'm an equal opportunity hater. Put the koolaid down.

You seem to think Bush didn't increase spending. You know that federal expenditures went from $1.78T when Bush came into office in 2000, to his last budget of $2.85T in 2008 right?

Who's said spending wasn't a problem?

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy05/sheets/hist01z1.xls