1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MF Global

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Dec 17, 2011.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anyone else find that fiasco amazing? There are two things that I can't wrap my head around:

How do you misplace $1 billion?

What were farmers and other "regular" people doing depositing their money there? I heard that some people were not even investors, they were just keeping their money there as one would in a savings account. Why the hell would you not go to a FDIC-insured bank?

2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

3. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

What's more intriguing is that his attorney allowed him to testify that he has no idea of what happened to all of that money....

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The farmers were using MF Global (anyone else think the MF was intentional?) as a broker for their futures hedging account. In order to hedge your corn (or whatever)crop you sell it in the future at the current today price, as per the CBT market. As a small time farmer you can't just go sell it, you need to work through a broker which is no different than trading stocks. What really sucks is these guys accounts were guaranteed segregated from MFG's other business, that is, MFG had no business putting their grubby hands on this money. Of course that guarantee is probably worthless, these accounts are not FDIC backed.
    Kinda makes you stop and wonder how secure your 401K is, doesn't it?

5. Motofun352

He either stole it or allowed it to be stolen. With authority comes responsibility.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Of course it was! Everyone knows you can trust a Massey Ferguson...

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No worries, the gubmint will bail them out. Profit is personal, loss belongs to the taxpayers.
    As far as not knowing nothin' bout nothin', it's working fine for Eric Holder.

"How could I be expected to know, I was only the guy who made the big bucks for being in charge?"

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Got it, thanks.

No kidding.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I guess some/many banks don't want high dollar saving accounts any more. Friends of ours had their bank tell them that they would not accept any more deposits from them. WTF is that about? They had about 600k in there, which is a nice amount but not "big money". Only thing I can figure is that the FDIC limits on (2) single accounts is 200k per for a total of 400k and then a joint account is another 200k for a total of $600k. Whould there be any other reason?

10. Tinfoil hat charly

11. Tinfoil hat charly

12. Motofun352

Corzine needs to go to prison....never happen. Maybe, just maybe the farmers will get pennies back on the dollar, if they can hang in there long enough. Of course that will be Corzine's lawyers' tactic, wait them out and hope they go broke. :down:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pitchforks and torches.

'bout frickin' time.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anybody else work at Goldman Sachs when he was the head honcho? I feel a little dirty…

15. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

:stupid:

This kind of stuff needs to be punished with impunity. Crap like this that just disappears into the fray without recourse reflects poorly on the rest of us in the financial industry who aren't crooks. Throw Corzine in jail and lose the key.

16. Tinfoil hat charly

17. In Your Corner

I wonder how many investors were actually aware that they authorized MF Global to do that?

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

"A million here, a million there, pretty soon you're talkin' about some real money."

I can't remember who that is usually attributed to, but it is still applicable.

19. In Your Corner

It was a billion here, a billion there......
    and it's considered a popular myth that was attributed to Sen. Dirkson.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works..."
    -Gordon Gekko

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012