1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no CBR60RR race bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by brownriggj, Dec 17, 2011.

1. brownriggj

brownriggj Member

I ride an 848 but have been wondering about a I4 lately. Seems everybody is on an R6 at NJMP. Why doesn't anybody race Hondas in middleweight?

Is it that the R6 is closer out of the box or in "Supersport" setup, or does the R6 just handle better than a CBR no matter how much $ you throw at one?

Take it easy on me - I'm not trolling, just would really like to know from people who have tried or raced both bikes etc.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Some say it's antiquated and at the end of it's development cycle (basically same bike since 06-07). Some say that it is a difficult chassis to get setup properly. But the amature ranks at NJMP I'm sure you've seen the RR podium'ing middleweight.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The ruckus with the bigger motor would be more competetive that the cbr60.

4. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

you talking about the cbr or the r6? :D

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

The Cbr hasn't changed since 09. The 07-08's had a little more power. They still don't come with a stock slipper clutch.

I had an 06 and absolutely loved it, I've never rode a newer R6. So all I could tell you is my perspective of the Honda.

6. The CBR's can be just as competitive as any of them (look at WSS). Jake Lewis did pretty damn good on one also. As to why they arent as popular at the club level, i dont know.

7. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

there is no Kaw ZX6R either.

8. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

i think honda was the first to cut contingency out... when yamaha and suzuki were still paying $2000 per win, 4 races per weekend.

9. SJC1000rr

SJC1000rr Well-Known Member

I still race my 07, but pretty much what the others are saying. They make a little less top end power, parts are more sparce and more expensive. No Honda contingency and setup is more difficult and less widely known since so few people race them.

Once you pour some money into the motor and full suspension, then some trial and error at setup you can do pretty well.

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I think it is a snowball effect.

Because there more R6 racing, people starting to race get the R6 because of parts, setups, used aftermarket parts, and even ready to go race bikes for sale.

I cant tell SS how they compare, but stock vs stock they are real close, the CBR being a little easier to ride.

11. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I've been riding an 05 (rr) the last 2 years. I had great success as a novice in 2010. I scored a couPle podiums with light grids in 2011 but a few crashes put a big damper on my season.

I will say that I rode a R6 once this year. I was quickly able to go almost as fast as my bike quickly.

12. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I raced a 08 CBR this year as a novice in the Southeast. I had a pretty good season. I had plenty of podiums and even a win in the "cut throat" 600 class. The bike is very capable. I will not lie to you though, the R6 and GSXR would destroy me on the straights. IMO, the only thing this bike lacks is top end. For my first year expert next year, I purchased a 08 R6. I am already regretting my decision as my R6 spun a rod bearing on the dyno before I even got the chance to ride it :down: If I could go back in time, I would have just put a supersport build on my CBR and been ready to roll:up:

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I don't race (as Papa pointed out & actually created a thread on it), but my personal reason for not getting a Honda or Kawi was the lack of spares on the interwebs or at the track. Seems more people are sporting the Suzukis or Yamahas.

14. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

:stupid:

15. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

I believe I remember Solis doing well in AMA on a CBR 600 this past season

16. brownriggj

brownriggj Member

This is really interesting. It sounds much as I thought. Who are the go to guys for CBR tuning? I know Markbuilt is the joint for all the R6s we see at the track.

17. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Erion, haha. Too far away from you though. I put a thinner head gasket, adustable cam sprockets, and a manual cam chain tensioner on my 06 and it made a big difference in how the bike felt power wise.

18. I used to race an 05 cbr 600 rr. I won a few novice races on it in 06. I got rid of it before I turned expert, but it was not a bad bike by any means. It was easy to ride and made around 110 hp with only a pipe and power commander, which wasn't too bad for an 05 600. In 06, the r6 and the kawis had me beat on power when they got high up in the revs, but the CBR had a wide powerband which made it easy to get a good drive off of the corners. I know they made a big improvement in 07, but havent improved it much since then. Only a tiny improvement in 09, but still with the right components and a good ss build, I wouldn't doubt that they can still be competitive. The development of most 600 bikes have slowed down a lot since 07.

19. isaltyko

isaltyko Well-Known Member

Stumpy goes pretty good on his r6 around njmp
    he raced his "rhonda the honda" in CCS once while saving the r6 motor for AMA rounds.. he went 5 seconds a lap slower..
    and I passed him on the front straight :rock:
    just get the r6 dude

20. brownriggj

brownriggj Member

HA! I knew you'd say that!