1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripped K&N Filter Options?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Patent1, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Patent1

Patent1 Well-Known Member

Being an idiot, I've managed to strip the nut on a K&N oil filter. The filter is on a ZX6R, which means the filter itself is pretty much inaccessible for a filter wrench.

Channel lock pliers didn't work on the nut.

Thinking of using vise grips, but more than a little worried I'll only make things worse. The nut is pretty soft metal, IMHO.

Anybody willing to admit they've done the same thing, and managed to remove the damn filter without taking the engine out the frame first?

2. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Place drain pan, stab filter with screwdriver. Loosen using screwdriver for leverage. Profit. :up:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: Use whatever works, the filter is toast anyway.

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

If you use the screwdriver method, punch the filter closer to the end, not near the base that attaches to the engine.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Who put the filter on ? If you got onto the nut squarely with a 17mm socket and rounded the nut off it was on WAY too tight.

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

before you try the screwdriver, can you get a strap wrench around it? That works about 90% of the time.

7. Patent1

Patent1 Well-Known Member

I tried a strap wrench this morning, but the filter is recessed so deep against the side of the engine I couldn't get any grip. Will try the vise grips next, really don't want to have to go the screwdriver route.

8. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

I don't know if a socket cap type remover will fit over the chewed nut but that's what I would try.

This a newer 6R with the filter on the left side of the engine? If so, there's usually a drainage catch tray just under the filter that can be removed with a couple of screws to give a little more room to fiddle with it.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

here's most of the options, minus the screwdriver...
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...RXNyoA?p=oil filter wrench pliers&fr2=piv-web

i've had good luck with this style nylon strap as they fit into tight spaces and, as long as the filter is clean, the nylon grabs it well. with an over-tight filter, it's possible to crush the filter where the strap is rolled onto the pin, but it can still work.
    [​IMG]

if you get the pliers type, go for the ones with three teeth. i found my snap-on four tooth version didn't work too well with smaller filters so i lopped one of the teeth off making it like a three tooth mac. also, get it with the jaws offset at an angle. more troublesome than the nylon strap when space is limited.
    [​IMG]

the steel strap pliers are crap for our purposes. with or without a rubber lining they only do their job well if set squarely on the filter. if you crush the filter, you're generally out of luck with these.

the cup style sockets look promising but are size specific and you can't have already boogered up the filter.

vise grips either crush the filter or do not grab hard enough to prevent slipping on an over-tight filter.

10. gixxer357

gixxer357 Well-Known Member

:stupid: Screwdriver method works like a charm and +10000 to what pefrey said.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

can you crush the base of the filter to get more room inside the recess?

Otherwise Id get tin snips and cut the filter apart... then youll have access to the backside of the threads that can be twisted off pretty easy.

12. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

13. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

Ever rip a filter in half with the screwdriver method?

Try wrapping sandpaper around the strap wrench if it slips.

14. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

No, but I've only done it 2 or 3 times.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This is probably the only tool that will get to that filter and get it off. I highly recommend that you use an OEM filter next time. Those nuts on the K&Ns are just an excuse to overtighten the filter, then they twist off during removal. I see it a lot.

16. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

What?? :eek:

Can't say I have in the few times I've had to do the screwdriver method.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, then I grab the inside parts with channel locks :D

18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Seems obvious but i will say it anyhow...
    Make sure the bike is warm when you go to take filters off. Makes it so much easier (filter/oil/etc)...

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Saw my friend do it to his bike. Sucked for him....

20. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

I've used the screwdriver method more times than I'd like to admit . . . couple other possibilities . . . .

1.) Use a die grinder to cut a slit into the head of the oil filter nut to fit a flat head screwdriver

2.)Auto parts stores sell big channel lock - type wrenches that grab the whole filter . . that almost always works . . .

you shouldn't have any issues though with the screwdriver method unless you decided you were hercules when you put it on in the first place . .