Safety wire pad pins?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by auz_gsxr, Nov 4, 2011.

1. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

Hi

Can you safety wire the pad pins on a set of R6 calipers or do we just trust the R-clips wont fall out?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I safety wire the open end of the R clip shut (takes some practice) and tether the clips to the caliper with another wire.

3. notcrashed2day

notcrashed2day Well-Known Member

I've done it several times. I've owned 5 R6's and ever since i went to change the pads and was missing 1 on each side, i've just ran safety wire through the same hole for the pin and twisted it closed. I left a couple 3 or 4mm of twist sticking out and have never had a problem.

4. motox

motox 164

hmm thats a good idea! I'll have to try that out

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

this is how i do my R6 (with R1 calipers) pad pins. The R clips are NOT good IMO. . I run wire between to holes in the pins. Up and over. KEEP IT LONG/LOOSE..there is a reason for the big arch..you dont want the wire to hold pads snug against rotors! After you have wired, grab pads and wiggle..make sure they do, otherwise they are dragging..no good.

Here's link to what happens when the pins come out!! #174 green wheels ZX guy didnt tighten/wire/silicone his pins...came out and took our rider Ryan #551 out.

http://www.wmrra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12952

For the CBR/GSXR's we use ProBolts pins they have external heads and predrilled to wire. I have seen way more than 1 brake pad pin come out!!

http://www.probolt-usa.com/Products/ZX6_P7F_0708_Brake_Caliper_Front_Pad_Pins_x_4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

Gotta hard time believing that R-clips would just fall out, and I'm bit of a safety nazi. Got a friend with a R6 with 105K miles, never any issues, pretty sure they're still the original clips.Now if you put damaged/worn clips back on...

Still not a bad idea to wire that, might do mine this winter. I just worry about the safety wire getting caught in between the pads.

Pretty sure the ZX-6R pins have threads you tighten, that was a flat out FAIL on whoever put the pads in.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. ed who?

1. Sure a high mile street bike but im pretty sure he's not swapping pads out every wknd. They wear! Plus racers get in hurry & don't fully seat them

2. Zx like cbr & gsxr screw in again seen TON fall out even top riders /teams! It happens. Thus why wiring them best imo

8. auz_gsxr

Correct, I always wire mine which is why I wanted to wire these.

Thanks everyone, especially Ed :)

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Get some Pro-Bolts..... Problem Solved...

10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Pro bolts are easy but they seem softer than oem, seem to get the wear grooves in them soonish. Might just be me though.

11. ed who?

yeah no way. Every bike we've used ProBolt stainless on is 10 x's better than oem...who here has not stripped/rounded out a pos soft 6mm allen button head GSXR caliper bolt?? or rounded the heads off the 12mm ZX bolts? or had the caliper 5mm allen pins sieze in the calipers so they cant get them out?

ProBolt ftw IMO

12. auz_gsxr

agree probolt are good but they dont make special pins for the yammis like they do for suzuki etc, they are identical to stock

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

lol

14. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

same here, i've had r-clips from my trailer fall out. Started wiring those shut then after changing my r1 pads so much the clips got loose i did it for piece of mind on them.

15. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I don't disagree Ed as that's why I replaced mine, I got the ti ones not SS and they were showing wear soon afterwards.

16. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

Could someone please post a pic of what safety wiring the R clips on an R6 would look like? Thanks!

17. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

how many have stripped that bitch at 3rd call???:D

18. jdavis6446

jdavis6446 Well-Known Member

Custom brake pad retaining pins

I purchased some custom made pins from a racer a Miller Motorsports for the R6. The pins are a little longer and have 4 holes. I use clips in the normal two holes and safety wire between the other two holes.
    Sorry but I do not remember his name or contact information.

19. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

well I researched this in the beginning of this year and people said the r clips would be fine. I'm meticulous with my bikes and I had a brake pad fall out at the worst time it could. I'm now living life in a chair. I should have followed my gut and did something else to keep that pin secure.
    I think its a failed design from Yamaha.