another truck question

Discussion in 'General' started by Sicilian32, Nov 14, 2011.

1. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

The cummin's diesel are great but they are in dodges.

Find yourself a chevy durimax from the mid 2000's 04-05-06
    There are good years for Ford 7.3 but I forget witch ones.

In 07 the game changed for diesel. It is still the best for pulling but it's not a simple as it was. If you can get a chevy diesel with the allison trans = FTW

2. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

damn it.. basically everyone has different advice, lol.. i dont know i could still get an older 7.3 like a 2003 for like 12k if i wanted to skimp. just hard to decide on how much to spend vs how much to add to savings.

3. I see people all the time saying "my gas truck pulls it just fine". I dont doubt that, but "just fine" is relative and the first time you pull something with a diesel, you will know what im talking about.

My 07 Escalade and 08 Avalanche pulled my 7x12 tandem axle trailer "just fine". It wasnt like i stalled trying to go uphill or no shit like that. But even as small as that trailer was, it was still like pulling a big sail. Then when loaded down with 2 bikes, tools etc, it eventually got heavy...even at 7x12.

The trucks pulled it "just fine" but it was aggravating as fuck. The higher revs for hours on end during long trips, constant downshifting, even when only on a 2% incline, downshifting every time trying to pass somebody, the shitty fuel mileage etc. After getting the diesel, i noticed that i started arriving at the track more relaxed and less tense simply because of the quieter, easier ride there.

I can honestly say that my new Duramax pulls the 41' Toy Hauler, loaded with 150gal of water, 30gal of gas, 2 bikes, tools, 5500w generator etc MUCH easier than my Escalade/Avalanche pulled the 7x12 trailer. And i get 2-3mpg more pulling that big ass TH with the diesel than i did pulling the 7x12 with the gas trucks.

Hook the diesel to the 7x12 and you literally do not know it is there. Gas mileage does not change from regular driving, acceleration does not change etc. People say that all the time, but you literally do not know it is there.

Even pulling the TH, you dont know it is there going down the interstate. I can pull it loaded (as previously mentioned) at 80mph running about 1800-1900rpm while getting 9.5ish mpg. If i slowed down, i could get over 10.

There is simply no replacement for torque. I can pull the TH fully loaded at 75mph and pull out to pass somebody, going uphill, and the truck wont even downshift. It simply just pulls. Next thing you know im going 85-90mph and have to back off.

It is easy to say "the trailer only weighs....". But you get it loaded with bikes, tools, etc...and it gets heavy. Then you have to factor wind resistance. But when considering buying a truck for a 19-21' Toy Hauler, with bikes, tools, etc...and with water (no matter how much you try, there will be a time when you end up pulling it with at least 1 tank full) going out and buying a gas truck shouldnt even be an option. If you HAVE a gas truck and then get the TH, you kinda gotta do what you gotta do. But if you are about to buy a truck, i cant see making a conscious decision to go buy a gas truck, knowing you are going to be pulling something like that.

I have been where you are. I know exactly what all is going through your head. People told me the same things i am telling you now, but i was still hard headed and bought 2 more gas trucks before i finally gave in.

I kept thinking "eh, it will pull it fine, it cant be THAT much of a difference". It is. After having this diesel, it is a HUGE difference. There is no way to describe the difference.

And people talk about having to "deal with" a diesel as a daily driver. Personally, i love it. Mine is kinda big, it is a Crew Cab 4x4, but i can still park it anywhere. I get around 15-16mpg in the city while driving like an asshole and mine isnt even broken in yet (have about 7k miles on it). Supposedly they dont get truly broken in and get the best mileage till you get them up around 100k or so. I never got more than 12 in the city with the Escalade and never got more than 14 with the Avalanche.

You gotta do what is best for your financial situation. But i know that even if financially my choices were limited to a 2003 Duramax with 100k miles or a 2009 Gas truck with 10k miles....I would get the diesel.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Baird

Baird Well-Known Member

Diesel is old school tech in a 3/4 ton. What you need is an extended range electric pickup. 402 HP, no pesky transmission to go bad, 800 ft/lbs of torque from the second you hit the accelorator. Plus with the 30 amp 15000 watt exportable power outlet you can idle the "generator" and run your toyhauler/trailer.

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Diesels do have more potential but don't forget, they're also more expensive to maintain. Just an oil change is close to if not more than $100.00!

6. I hear that argument too, but i have done the oil change in mine twice and it was never more than $60...and that was at the dealership.

You also have to consider that some people go 10k and even 20k between oil changes on diesels. The guy that lives beside my dad has a 2003 Duramax with 290k on the clock, with over 200k of that pulling his horse trailer and he has changed the oil once every 25k since he bought it.

7. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I've owned a diesel Excursion (7.3L) and now have a '10 Sequoia. The Ex towed great but I hated driving it. Made the switch because I don't plan on ever having more than 5k behind it and wanted a better daily driver. FWIW the gas mileage so far on the Sequoia is almost identical to what the Ex was getting (15-16 avg, up to 20 on the highway). Keep in mind too that diesel is about 70c/gal more expensive where I live. I'd go with the Tundra if I were in your shoes.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I know you have a honeymoon hard-on for your new truck, but anyone who says they dont know a 7'x12' enclosed trailer is behind them is full of it. :Poke:

I had an 03 Duramax dually and I could feel a 14' open trailer, but maybe that explains why you blew up every truck you have towed with. :D

Diesels are great if you tow with them quite a bit. If you are only towing a few times a year and not a huge trailer thru the mountains, then a 3/4 ton gas truck will do just fine. I was happy to be rid of my dually because diesels suck in cold weather, atleast mine did. never failed to fire up, but took forever to heat up.

I like jumping in my old 5.7 gasser and having heat within a couple miles now.

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Bottom line is my 07 Dodge 2500 Diesel 5.9L pulled 15k lbs at 80mph like it was nothing while getting 10 mpg. Im sure a gas motor will do the job for you, you'll just be taxing the hell out of it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I pull a 6000# loaded toy hauler with my '10 Tundra SR5 TRD 2 wheel drive with tow package and it does fine. 8-9mpg at 70 mph unless there is a bad head wind. I drive it too work everyday with a 18-19 mpg average. Nice big smooth truck. I have 27k miles on it and half that is towing. I hooked the hauler behind it with 150 miles on the clock. this is my 4th Toyota truck and all have been good trucks.

I am looking to buy a larger toy hauler and my total haul weight will go up to 7500# and I am not the least concerned, the truck will pull it. I love listening to that 5.7L engine it is impressive. I have no use or want for a diesel truck.

BTW the 4x4 5.7 tundra does not get the 4.3 rear end gear which really helps the truck tow better. You will be stuck with 4.10 rear gear in a 4x4 which is not terrible. Just throwing that out there.

11. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Unless you are towing a monster trailer, a diesel truck is overkill.

You have to factor in the extra cost when buying it and the extra cost of fuel and maintenance for them.

My '05 Silverado with a 5.3 towing my 6x14 single axle got mid teens for mileage driving it sensibly. Also the trailer is extra tall (6'5" inside floor to ceiling) so it is a huge brick. It would generally have 3 bikes, 2 gennies and spare for all the bikes along with tools etc etc.

It was very comfortable to drive and no diesel smell either.

I'd get the Toyota especially if it still had a factory warranty.

12. abhartz

abhartz Member

My personal recommendation would be the tundra.

I actually sell cars for a big name dealership and also owned another toyota truck previously. One thing to consider is how long you plan on owning the vehicle for, as i can personally attest that the toyota trucks will hold their value the best, and run the longest. Id say going with a slightly higher mileage toyota will pay off in the long run imo.

Another thing to think about is when you plan on purchasing, during this time prices for 4x4 vehicles tend to go up a slight bit. Not a huge difference but its something to consider.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Not really. I have 4 trailers all different sizes and I use the same truck to pull them all. Using a bigger truck/motor just makes it more efficient. Poster said it wasnt his DD so fuel cost isnt really an issue and diesel motors can last sometimes twice as long before rebuild. A win win really. How many diesels have you owned?

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I like (and have) the Cummins. The 03 Ford would be a good truck. Diesel is the only engine I would ever have in a truck. I like em in cars too.

15. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

So you are saying you need a diesel truck to tow a 2 rail bike trailer? I know that's not what the OP is towing with it but if you don't need it why pay the extra money for it?

Personally, I've never owned one but have driven lots of them. Dodges with Cummins and GM's with the Duramax/Allison.

Sometimes it's overkill so why pay extra for something you don't need?

16. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

Towing a7200lbs(scale) loaded(water and bike) 23' toyhauler with my 07 f150 2wd (4wd wouldn't change anything)

Pull easy and doing 9mpg at ~70mph.
    it's my daily driver and it's the best for both world.

No need of diesel for such a small weight. (less then 8000lbs)

everything cost more on a diesel..so what you save towing, you'll pay it back in maintenance.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Thats not at all what im saying. Im giving advice based on what he wants to tow but to be honest my Diesel would still get 22 mpg towing something that small where my 1500 gas motor would be effected by 3 or 4 mpg. So while you might not need it, its just more efficient. Not trying to argue but I drive about 25k miles a year and up until last year about half was towing a trailer of some sort.

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Oil changes cost more but I would go 5k miles between changes vs 3k on my gas motors so other than that what cost more?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The RV is maybe $125 at Speedco and it's 10k between changes :D

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

RV? pfff, thats overkill you need a Ford Ranger and a landscape trailer. Hell I saw 3 man tents for $29 in Commerce last weekend.