1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Safe or Cabinet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carey322, Nov 11, 2011.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Same story hear, except we never fired them (only cause it was a tight residential area). Dad was an ex Vietnam marine cop who grew
    Up with guns, so he had various handguns and a rifle 'hidden' away. Despite
    His threats of beating us if went into their room, my brother and I both
    Went into thier room, found every gun and often played with them. Even showed them to friends when they werent home.

And yea, we got the speeches about safety and shot a few guns when back in Texas. Didn't matter, there was just something about them that drew us to the top shelf.

I would say age 8-10 was the worse for kids to snoop.

2. Ptog

Ptog I Miss Corner Working

3. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

If you take your kids to the range/let them shoot the guns often; does that seem to dissuade them from messing with the guns on their own? I have my first baby on the way (mid May?) and this has been on my mind.

Sorry to go OT!

4. RB

RB Well-Known Member

IMO it is every gun owners absolute responsibility to do everything in their power to keep their guns from being stolen. To me this means a good safe, securely bolted to the floor. And once you have the safe use the damn thing. It's amazing how many guns get stolen from safes that aren't locked !!!

EVERYTIME you leave the house lock all the guns up !

5. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Kids aren't 'one size fits all'. Teaching the Colombine shooters about guns didn't keep them from doing what they did.

6. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

:stupid: I've often toyed with getting a cabinet for the shotguns and some of the nicer rifles, just because guns on display are so damn classy! But, I always end back up with the gut feeling that it's just not worth it. Get a safe, hide it, and bolt it down.

7. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Didn't work for me when I was a kid. Even having a pistol at the diner table every night didn't make it any less fascinating.

I remember my dad bringing home his first issued 9mm Glock when I was 12. He took the clip out, showed me how it works, safety speech, the whole nine yards.

Guess what I was playing with once my parents left the house the next day?

This was all back in the 70s/80s. Closest thing we had to violent video games was Colleco Combat on a B&W tv. Can't imagine how strong the lure would be with today's TV, Internet and video games.