1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socialized Medicine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Nov 9, 2011.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

No there's not.

Sarah is in charge of her health care decisions, including her desire to carry health insurance.

The kid? Well, I defer to her on that one, too.

Me? I decide. Since I hung up the leathers, there's little risk of injury that justifies the expense and absence of coverage for health insurance plans.

There has only been once since 1994 that I've gone to the hospital for anything but a MC-derived injury, and that was something I could have cured myself if the AMA and pharm companies didn't have a stranglehold on laws and prevent antibiotics from being sold OTC.

Sarah will, however, be putting a life insurance policy on me. I think she figures that with as much as I run my mouth, someday someone's gonna wanna silence it. :D

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And you, of course, did this work for free because you don't believe in profiting from medicine.
    All that expensive equipment in hospitals has to come from somewhere.
    Governments don't have an unlimited supply of money. Living in a country that has not yet instituted socialized medicine but is already borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars should make you wonder who is going to pay for it all.
    That's not even considering the fact that the government always does a lot less with a lot more, and does it poorly.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I've seen both sides, been a while since I have been back here. The U.S. has turned heathcare into a profit business instead of a patient business. All the hype of europes debt on heathcare is blown out of porportion. Think of the headlines over there about our economy here in the last 2 years. It's easy to find faults when you are thousands of miles away. I am American and have lived out of the country for almost 5 years. My brother lives in Spain and I have seen the benifits of the system over there compared to here. I have lived and worked in the Caribbean and Mexico as well and have been to doctors in the British Virgin Islands and the Bahamas. The B.V.I.'s cost me 10 dollars for the visit because I wasn't a citizen, the Bahamas cost me 30 dollars with 2 prescriptions. It would have cost me thousands back here. The U.S. has state of the art technology because it has private healthcare and there is big money to be made with new pills and new machines. If I was really sick I would want to be here(definitly not the Caribbean or Mexico)! On the other hand the U.S. has become a worried safety protect your self from anything that could possibly happen police state. Add up all the insurence Americans pay in there life and its stupid. Plus any time you actually have a claim good chance the companys are going to try to deney it! My dad has worked in healthcare his whole life and retired a CEO of a hospital. We used to argue all the time about this and he would tell me hospitals are in business to make money. When I spent time in Europe I was told hospitals are in busniness to help people and everybody has a right to healthcare rich or poor.

4. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Paragraphs, how do they work?

You owe me an Advil

5. pickled egg

The second most ignorant thing I've read today. :rolleyes:

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Ha ha...davek's bitch lol!!!!

7. pickled egg

Shut up McStupidhead. :mad:

:D

8. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I also worked for banks, schools, DOD, Nat'l Guard, churches, courts, city councils, hotels, bars, restaurants, cities, fire dept., police dept., DOT, DOE, law firms etc.. So?

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Are you saying that you've never held a single job more that a few days? :)

10. In Your Corner

You're the one who thinks it's wrong to make any profit from healthcare.
    And your reply really says nothing at all. Put your money where your mouth is and help provide healthcare for nothing by not charging for the time you spent in a support position.
    Oh wait, it's not fair if it's you that has to be the one who provides the something for nothing.

11. In Your Corner

You've nicely stated the case against socialized medicine. When you really need more than treatment for a sprain or a bad cough, you turn to the system that actually produces the state of the art technology that treats the serious illnesses. The argument that you get a good service and don't have to pay for it is a good thing ignores the fact that someone eventually has to support the system that provides the service.

12. murf

murf Well-Known Member

probably better than for the 9% ( realistically more like 15%) unemployed Americans and even more underemployed.

13. In Your Corner

I doubt it, when the money runs out, so does the free care. Then they're left with no care. Their governments have run out of money and the ability to borrow any, so how are they going to pay doctors and nurses or buy drugs or pay for facilities?

14. murf

murf Well-Known Member

Same as Iceland?

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

You sure they don't already?

16. In Your Corner

You're going to have to elaborate, I'm not going to research your side of the discussion.

17. murf

murf Well-Known Member

18. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

19. In Your Corner

Iceland was bailed out by Europe (and you're talking about a country with a population that's about half that of Austin, TX) after a banking crisis. The hand-out they got isn't going to be available to Greece. Their health-care system, while all-inclusive, is also financially limited by the government. And there are no alternatives. That means rationing of health care, since only so much is budgeted per year. Since their credit rating is in the toilet and their healthcare system quite young, it's destined to fail in the near future at the point when they look to the Eurozone to pay their bills again and are told no.
    Not to mention Icelanders pay a huge percentage of taxes on their income and still pay a large part of their healthcare out-of-pocket. It's not a free system.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Facts. The enemy of the "Free Healthcare for all" proponents.....:crackup: