1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V5 vf750f?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by jackel151, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

Ive allways had a soft spot for hondas VFR. I have owned a 2nd,4th and 5th gen. Allways wanted a rc30 and rc45 but probley will never own either.
    Reading the vintage rules I see that the VF750 is legal in V5. Looking at the V5 results at the GNF most of the bikes were ex500/250.
    Anybody ever see a VF750 or VF500 in V5? Were they competitive?

I know most of you on here are V7 racers and will tell me to buy a used F3 race bike. Thanks but no. I think I like to build more then I like to race since I started building 2 race bikes this year. One is allmost done but the CBR900 ended up as a streetfighter.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I think the VF would be a great addition to the grid.

Toecutter on here used to race one back in the day.

V5 used to be ruled by a bad-ass Ducati F1, being chased by an RZ.

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Those were good bikes in their day, I don't see any reason they can't be good in a class based on bikes from that same time frame. Regardless, build what you want to ride. If you don't enjoy your bike, you won't enjoy your racing.

4. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I race a KZ 1000 in V5. Back when theses bikes were new i raced both the KZ and a VFR. The VFR was so much easier to ride, faster and better lap times.

I just prefer to race a ELR 1000 look a like. To me that was what a real original Superbike should look like.

5. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

The vf I raced was a hand me down from Spencer, Rainey, Merkel, Chandler, Bruce Nield (who owned it when I raced it). Great bike but far from stock. Still miss that sound though!!

6. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Toecutter: Do you remember what size wheels/tires were on the bike?

7. toecutter418

The one I rode had a 5.50 x 17 rear and 3.5 x 16 epm front. Vf1000R forks with quick release axle clamps. The rotors were so big that you had to pull the pads out of the calipers first to get them off. At the time you could get nice Michelin slicks for the front because of the cbr900r using the sMe size wheel. I believe the swingarm was stock and had an adjustable ride height fox shock on the rear. Bruce had two bikes, this one was half hrc but he also had a full hrc bike which had 17" rims front and rear and hrc swingarm, forks, etc.

8. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I would love to see some VF/VFR's on the track....just like I'd like to see more triples. Well...I guys I really just want to hear them on the track...

9. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Got a triple sitting in the garage awaiting a build. But I don't think it's going to make a good track bike :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. toecutter418

I like those bikes, love the sound. I worked with a guy years ago at Cycle Sport in Tysons Corner, Va. that endurance raced one. Had a xs1100 tank on it for longer range.

11. rwood64083

I thought it'd be a much heavier bike. Surprisingly it's not. My intent for buying it was to turn it into a streetable vintage looking cafe racer.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I still want to do the chain drive conversion to one of those triples and stick it in one of my FZ600 chassis.

Ken

13. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Woody, you need to get all your bikes out in your driveway and take a pic for us! Keep us going through the winter!

14. rwood64083

Too much work. How about a picture of a packed garage? Maybe I can get Barret & Jackson to pose for me :D

15. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I kinda like it. I bet that drive shaft would suck on the track though.