1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Marco Simoncelli

Discussion in 'General' started by Josh Whitehead, Oct 23, 2011.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Yea, I found it a bit odd as well. My in-laws (immigrated here in the 60s), are always the best dressed people at family functions, even back yard barbecues.

Every family funeral on their side has always been suit and tie affair. I don't think that was something the adapted here.

In their culture, it's all about presenting yourself in a way that reflects on the people around you. To them, dressing down shows disrespect to those around you. They're always pretty insulted when some of the in-laws dress poorly at family events.

I think Marco's funeral was more about what he wanted, and not tradition. And like someone said, can you picture him in a suit and tie?

I have a client in Rome who's quite a bit younger than my in-laws, so i'll ask him. Maybe it's a younger generation thing.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There's some photos of him on the net in a suit. Reminded me of sideshow bob going to court.

3. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Those are motorcycle people at his funeral. None of them ever owned a suit in their lives. You'd be hard pressed to find a shirt without grease stains on it in any of their closets.
    The only suits you see are leathers.
    They all grew up in those streets riding scooters.
    These are real people, not suit people.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Some suit protocol guys need to give it a rest...

The people were there and wearing their best sincerity.

5. amaner

amaner will do math for food

+eleventybillion is all I can say

I can't even find the words to express what I want to say. I keep trying to type something, only to hit backspace many times... Like Dave, I rooted for the guy no matter what. He seemed like a regular guy, only a really fun and lively regular guy. He had guts, charisma, outright speed, etc. His motogp win was around the corner... He made me want to tune in. I kept hoping he would win and the haters would be silenced... &*^*, sigh. I know the show must go on, but this one has taken the sheen off for me, at least for now. I will tune in to the Valencia round to see Hayes rip it up on the M1, but ... &(^* is all I can say.

Oh, and I don't give a &*^% what people wore to Sic's funeral. The class and respect shown was off the charts. Respect to his family; they are 100% class.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree. When we carried my grandfathers casket out of the church his stepsons and I all swapped out of dress shoes to gym shoes because it would have made him laugh. Funerals are mostly for the living of course but they are to honor the dead and being as they were for that day is a perfect way to do it.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I've been doing the same thing all week....still can't type anything.

RIP Marco

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Only 30,000 people came to his funeral.

9. Corsa

Corsa Desmo Thunder

I've been stunned by this all week...funeral was perfect for him. RIP Marco

10. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Been away for awhile, playing with the kart. Heard about this on the ekartingnews site. Says a lot about Simo's reputation that the US karting family responded to this tragedy about as quickly and profoundly as his own motorcycling family. Marco cast a big shadow for one so new to the top of his sport. He'll be remembered next to Sarinnen, Villenuve and Kato. Lost to us far too soon.

11. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

The latest installment of 'After the Flag' is an excellent retrospective/tribute to 58.

Get there.

12. pearsonm

pearsonm Well-Known Member

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Formula 1 is honoring the fallen. Several drivers have stickers and arm bands for Dan Wheldon and Marco. Massa has #58 on his helmet.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

'toe, go check out Jarno Trulli's helmet for this weekend. :)

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Very cool stuff man. Touching to see the support from the top tier.

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I loved being able to see his hair sticking out from under his helmet. It was like a metaphor for Marco himself. A little bit of humanity visible in all of the plastic and metal of the sport.

For some reason, probably the one above, I can't just let this one go.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Nevermind the suits at the funeral, Paolo is requesting a minute of noise at Valencia this weekend.

Kewl.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

That would be awesome. It suits Marco a hell of a lot more than a minute of silence.

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

That's WT_ I'm talking about!!!

20. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Just FUCKING AWESOME!!! :clap: :bow: :up: :beer: