1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM RC8R...good bad n the ugly??

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

how are THESE compared to a ducati for maintenance etc. riding experience etc. i know i was asking about the RSV4 before....but now i am also throwing the RC8R into the mix...just seen one and i was impressed!

2. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

PM Lizard 1, he's the KTM rep for the Ohio area. We use the bikes for the Mid-Ohio school. The power is great. I say take one out on a track day. There are slight differences from the 09-10 to the 11, or something like that. What do you currently ride?

3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

a gsxr 1000 , an 01...its pretty much a ratty old race bike.

4. Silo Pete

PM Lizard 1

He has a GSxR and can tell you his experiences on the RC8 vs the Suzok.

5. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Get the RC8RS. I have been racing one all season. It has been a blast. Ready to race right off the showroom floor. Stick your number on it and get after it.

I also ride the RC8 and RC8R's on a regular basis on the track showroom stock. I have ridden all the model years extensively on the track. The older RC8's were alot of fun to ride. The RC8R was a very nice and worthwhile improvement. The 2011 RC8R was a really nice jump up in bike. They smoothed out the power delivery and the stock suspension setup was a great improvement.

6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Are there any more KTM "demo" days at Mid-O? If yes then go to one and ride it for a day. Pretty great way to see if you will like one for a very fair price.

7. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Any feedback on vendor support? I know of one cat who wadded up his RC8RS and had to wait almost 10 weeks to get new plastics. Seems like that would be an expected expendable item for a track-only bike.

8. I have never ridden one, but I sat on Scott Brown's at ATL a few months ago and really liked the seating position, very comfortable. I can also say that after racing against them, they are damn rocket ships coming off the corners. I was behind Scott coming out of T7 and when he took off, I looked down to make sure my shit wasn't in neutral. :crackup:

9. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I know a guy who rode one yesterday and said that was the most fun he has had on a bike. Wheelies in 4th gear and that was on the track!

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Mirrors my experience owning a couple KTM supermoto bikes. Wicked fun to ride, but that really turned me off. Part cost was much higher than similar Big-4 parts as well.

That said, I'd love to own an RC8. Cool bike.

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

ummm excuse me???? i think you have an ussue witht he number pad on your computer, i swear you meant to say 2nd and not 4th, right!?

12. scottb

scottb Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed mine. Once I got the right springs in the front and rear, it has been a blast to ride. I definitely would recommend it to anyone thinking about a new racebike.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If you tell us your new girl is buying you a bike for all the trouble she's put you through I'm gonna shit. :D

You might want to wait what the deal is with this all new Panigale thing coming out, might be a sick beast of a bike that is a must have.....probably in the same company ($$$$) of bikes you're already looking at.

14. Silo Pete

4th sounds about right. The bike has gobs to torque.

15. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Last demo day was today. I rode one last month. AWESOME. If I ever buy a new bike it will be an RC8R. Mid Ohio is an awesome track to try a bike on, and you can not beat flogging their bikes and tires for a day for $275. Well worth it. We got six full sessions. KUDOS to KTM for running the program.

16. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

I've been lusting after an RC8RS for a coupla years, but 20K is a little hard to muster up these days. The ONLY downside I've heard is parts availability, as in timely and affordable. I was hoping the RC8 raffle would be my salvation..... maybe next year....

17. Silo Pete

Actually, there's a KTM day this Tuesday, the 27th.

18. Silo Pete

19. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I meant the fly and ride. You can rent them for the MO school or a track day but it costs more.

20. Silo Pete

Tuesday is a Fly and Ride...

;)