'79 GT550 cafe racer

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by pushystone, Sep 12, 2011.

1. pushystone

pushystone Well-Known Member

I found one of these for sale and was wondering if it would be a fun winter project to turn it into a cafe racer (really a just a street bike).

Do you think it would make a good 'base'? or should I keep looking...

Thanks for the input.

2. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

Oops! Didn't realize you posted here too! Here's what I posted in the general section:

3. pushystone

Thanks, it was suggested that I post in the vintage area as well...but it looks like the general area post is getting more attention.

Thanks for the information.

4. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

As DiamondJ said they can be "Stoneaxe" reliable, actually the name of our '76-'79 24Hr team.
    If you decide to fire one up make sure you do the crank seals followed by a pressure test. A PITA but well worth the time.

5. pushystone

Thanks.

So replace the crank seals then a compression test?

I waited to long to buy the one I was looking at but.... the more I look at the lines of other similar vintage bikes the more I like GT550 for cafe style bike.

6. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

nice, heavy and sturdy bevel box in the back, will make it stick to the road real well...;)

why not wait till a regular chain drive KZ, or better gpz550 comes your way?

7. pushystone

I was not sure the KZ had the lines I wanted (not that I really know what I am talking about)
    The gpz would be a great idea!

since I have not done this before I am depending a lot on finished examples I have seen. This is one of the ones I like the best and... it is a GT550
    http://caferacerspecial.blogspot.com/2011/08/suzuki-gt550-cafe-racer.html

I cannot actually find examples I like as much based on the Kawi

8. Rich Graver

Not a compression test but a leakdown test. Your testing for any leakage between the individual crankcases. If memory serves me the crankcases need to be pumped to 9 lbs and maintained without leaking 1 lb for 1 min.
    There may be better ways to do it today but it's been a minute or so since I had one apart. Maybe try some Go-Kart forums about leaking down a motor.
    PM me your EMail and I send you some info I got from E.C. Birt from back in the day. We were going to endurance race the 550 and he gave us a few tips. RG

9. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

sorry my bad, thought it was a 550GT (a shafted KZ) not a GT550 ( a non shafted suzuki :) )....

the woes of adhd ;)

10. Rich Graver

Just looked at your link. Do not use a three into one pipe. They don't make power and sound like fart. One cyl, one pipe .

11. pushystone

The 3 into one pipe is the one thing I don't like about that bike.

I was thinking a 3 into 3 but all three swept up one side would look nice and still be functional.

12. pushystone

So.. quick opinion please.

1975 GT550 or 1972 R5 350?

I am still thinking about the GT550 but just found a running 1972 R5350 for $600

13. charles

charles The Transporter

IMHO, wait for a Yam RD400...the acquisition cost is just the beginning of what you need to spend to make the bike competitive, no matter what bike you buy.

14. pushystone

New thoughts... what about these two;

How slow will this 1978 XS400 be?
    [​IMG]

Here is the other option;
    [​IMG]

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Waiting for the scoop(s).
    :Pop:

16. pushystone

I really would love and RD400 but... they are not easy to find.