Headed to NYC for NYE

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Sep 17, 2011.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Im taking the slightly better half to nyc for new years. I havent been in my adult life, so im looking for helpful info on where to stay, where to fly in, etc. Budget will allow for 300 range per night. We'll be doing all the touristy things, mostly shopping :( and Times Square.

Help me out bbs!
    Thanks!

2. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

that is the last place i would ever want to spend new years!!! $300 a night? never happen

3. crazywolf450r

Thanks for that awesome input! So helpful! :rolleyes:

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It could happen, but you better do it right now. Where to fly in? Go by airfare or your favorite airline...Newark, LaGuardia, JFK.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

It depends on what y'all prefer, if you're into SCENERY over staying in the thick of it all???

If a spectacular view is high up on your list, I'd suggest flying into Newark Airport (EWR) and grabbing a suite in Jersey City on the Hudson River with a view of the Big Apple. I would think you should have a better chance on finding something really nice in that price point in NJ than in NYC. The PATH (subway) which is available within walking distance from your suite would take you guys anywhere you need to go in NYC.

Since we are talking about NYE, I was curious if you'd even find a room available in this time frame, seems like the Hyatt Regency does still have rooms available....check out their photo's!
    http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

And yes, that building next door with the 'P' on it is the PATH.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  6. crazywolf450r

Thanks XFBO, very helpful!

Anyone have suggestions for if we were to decide to stay in NYC? Locations to avoid? Particular hotel youve had good experiences with?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

$300/night... youre staying in NJ or at a Hostel. :D
    You want to be in Times Square on New Years??

Just saw Hotel St James has a 3 night special for $800 to put you in the thick of things.

Might pay to go with a more expensive hotel that has a good concierge service so you can get into clubs w/o a cover, etc if youre staying in NY.

I spent New years in Hoboken a couple years ago and it was $100 for the night...open bar, champagne toast, etc.
    It was actually much better than the mob scene across the river in times square.

8. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

Only tourist do times square, have fun! F that. It is always blistering cold. I used to bartend in times square area, 8th ave but you could see the ball dropping up until the last few minutes. At 5pm there was a $10 cover charge, by 11:30 my boss was charging $50 to get in and people gladly paid it. I made $800 that night...how I miss the insanity sometimes.

Listen to them about Jersey though, the train ride is easy.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sadly enough, I dont think you're going to find anything worth staying at in NYC for $300/night on NYE w/e. :eek:

10. magic-rat

magic-rat Active Member

"If a spectacular view is high up on your list, I'd suggest flying into Newark Airport (EWR) and grabbing a suite in Jersey City on the Hudson River with a view of the Big Apple. I would think you should have a better chance on finding something really nice in that price point in NJ than in NYC. The PATH (subway) which is available within walking distance from your suite would take you guys anywhere you need to go in NYC."

If you are on a budget, what he says above is the way to do it.

Another way is to take the Staten Island Ferry. We stay at the Navy Lodge on Staten Island (you have to be military or retired military). There are other hotels, there, tho.

11. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

12. crazywolf450r

The 300 a night is my range. We're considering a couple in the 400s.

Any one ever stayed at the Andaz Wall Street? #2 traveler ranked hotel on tripadvisor.

13. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I've staying in NYC twice for New Years. It was a blast, but we were no where near time square, mostly the village going to bars and comedy clubs.

Both times I scored nice rooms (Hampton Inn) for about $400+tax. Keep in mind that room tax in NYC add a lot of $$$.

They only way I did it was watching the websites like a hawk, and scored the room 2-3 days before. They always jack the room prices up, then start to lower them as the date gets closer. Normally, those rooms were over $600+ a night for New Years.

The hotel market in NYC can be rough at best. I've seen the same room fluctuate from $300 to $800/night depending on events, season, holiday, moon phase, what ever. Often makes little sense, mostly supply and demand.

Do your misses a favor, come back up in January and save tons of money. Same shit to see, no anoying drunks pissing on your shoes, and everything will be cheaper.

New Years in the city is getting really touristy, last time I went, the Sunday after was mobbed with annoying families, even in the village. The 2 degree weather had no effect on visitors.

14. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Wall street area will be completely dead on holidays and weekends. Like spooky dead.

Oh, and Jersey side hotels (hoboken, Jersey City), will all be inflated that night as well. Sucks taking the train back that night anyway.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

The NY'ers will make fun of your Bama accent.

16. crazywolf450r

Maybe I should add some details. Im 25, shes 24. Neother of us are club or party people. We got that out of our systems a while ago. Weve been living together for 2 years. She's always wanted to be in the city for new years, so thats where Ive decided to pop the question.

Im kind of liking the Andaz, I know wall street will be quieter than the other areas but is still only a short cab ride to livelier areas. Im not opposed to Jersey city, and I really like the hyatt that XFBO posted. What the immediate area like? Any nice dinner spots?

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

like any major metro area... the "good" places will be impossible to get into as a walk in, this is especially true in NY. Whatever hotel you are staying at... check with their concierge service. Jersey City/Hoboken will have a schmorgesborg of places in your age demographic.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    What he said!

Trust me, you guys will LOVE Hoboken for dinner and drinks, plenty of bars/night clubs very up beat. How long you guys gonna be in town for?

If you're popping the big question, yea NYE at Times Square would be pretty cool but I can't help but think a nice private dinner in your room WITH THAT VIEW, would be a lot more romantic. But hey, you're not asking me....LOL!

Congrats and good luck man!

19. crazywolf450r

Well after talking to Jennifer, she would like to be more in the thick of things, and we were able to book a room at Santuary Hotel. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...s-Sanctuary_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html There were only 3 or 4 rooms left, and the price was a steal for the location so I jump in it. (russian giraffe guy :D)

Photos and reviews are both equally amazing, supposed to have a rooftop bar/lounge and its about half a block from Times Square. We are staying 4 nights, Thursday the 29th through Sunday night the 1st. Shes about to come unglued she's so excited! If she only knew.... lol

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Now, where should we fly into?

20. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Don't go to Jersey. No matter what people who live there think, it's not NYC. Brooklyn too.

I also disagree that the, "good" places will be booked. The popular places will be but there are a million great places that will have availability.

Get the hell out of Times Square as soon as possible. There aren't any New Yorkers there. We all avoid the place like the plague. You can go to the Gap when you're home. When you're here, walk around SoHo, TriBeCa and the West Village. See Central Park. Maybe the Met too. Even if you're not into museums, it's fucking amazing. What about a show?

Stop reading Tripadvisor (written for tourists) and start reading Eater NY and Gothamist (written for NY-ers). Go in with an open mind and shoes you can walk in. Stop in any place that looks interesting. Talk to people. Have a blast.