1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to check the timing?07 750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tightR1, Sep 13, 2011.

1. tightR1

tightR1 Well-Known Member

How do I check the timing on an 07 gsxr 750?The bike starts very sluggish.Ive change RR/stator,batt, but still very difficult to start.
    It takes the battery charger on engine start to get it done and it still fights it.
    Any ideas. Thanks

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The chances of the timing being off are about 1%. Have you checked the spark plugs and air filter? Does it have a Power Commander? Have you checked the fuel injection?

3. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

if it is turning over sluggish, as opposed to cranking normal speed and not wanting to start, might want to make sure the starter isnt binding. have you had the starter idle gear or stator cover off? maybe replaced it with an aftermarket item? make sure the thrust washer and bearings are in properly.

4. tightR1

No PC.Iwas thinking starter as I did have the stator cover off.I tried 3 different covers,one being a woodcraft billet and 3 different gears.All the same results,Very reistant to starting.
    How can I check to see if the starter is lined up correctly?
    Thanks for the responses.

5. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Check service manual make sure u have the washers in properly on the idler gear

6. tightR1

All that is in order.

7. tightR1

What about the stator hub.I removed the bolt but put it back on.

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

What is a stator hub? You mean the rotor?

9. tightR1

Yes I think.What the stator sits in.Flywheel?Attached to the crank.

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

The rotor/flywheel is magnetic and is bolted to the end of the crank. The Stator is the wrapped coil wire assembly that bolts to the side of the motor and the coils sit around the rotor when assembled.

If you had the bike this far apart chances are you missed something. Also check the battery voltage. Even if new, it needs 12.6-12.8 volts to turn the motor fast enough to start it.

11. tightR1

Could it be a wiring issue?

12. tightR1

Well I figured out the problem.I used silcone and not a gasket,so the difference in thickness put the intermediate starter gear in too tight and made it drag.Well just testing things,I used no gasket and it locked it up.I made a gasket and all is good.WOW thats a tight tolerence.Thanks all

13. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

your lucky, we have seen bigger damage from guys doing that..those few .001"'s make all the difference in binding up. Only honda's typically run with no gaskets on stators.

14. tightR1

Never thought the tolerence to be so tight.What kind of damage could have resulted?