1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 316 Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'General' started by kangasj, Sep 7, 2011.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Well, this board never ceases to amaze me. Anyone know of someplace where you can buy small quantities of stainless? I need a plate 13.5x18x.25 inches of 316 stainless. I found a place on-line but knowing this board someone is going to have a piece about that size or know of someone who does.

Thanks.....

2. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

If you don't find someone local, usually the cheapest option, look in McMaster Carr or Grainger catalogs. BUT...it really depends on the sizes you are looking for. They both deal in small items like flat bar, and round stock.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

My former employer has tons of 1/4" plate in stock. Not cheap but they have it. Why 316 instead of 304? What's the application?

www.csidesigns.com

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If there is a machine shop close that does marine or oilfield work they should have 316 laying around. Something that size would most likely be scrap for them so you may be able to get it at a pretty good price.

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Marine environment.

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

There's got to be a yard down around Charleston somewhere. I just started looking. I've got a few quotes. Looks like it's going to be around $270.00 plus shipping.

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Ebay.
    There are metal places selling stuff on there. I bought some aluminum tube that way once.

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I've been looking on E-bay. Haven't found .25 thick. I'm afro engineering this project (Oh shit :D, this place has been quiet lately anyway) and am wondering if I could get away with 3/16. I found some of that...

11. sowega

sowega #710

[​IMG]

Do I need to tell you what the f*** you can do with an aluminum tube?!

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, please do. I'm telling ya, this place has been too civilized lately....:D

13. pdxr6

pdxr6 Well-Known Member

Also try onlinemetals.com

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I have. They were one of the $270.00 ones. Thanks....:up:

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Did you check MSC?

Also look up Harbor Steel, they've got several branches and they were always a lot cheaper on a lot of items that I would need for work.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My supplier wants $180 for a 2'x2' x 1/4 if they have a drop. Check your local steel yard. Namasco and Alro are a couple big names that can help you. At minimum they could tell you who they sell to in the area.

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

OK, that works! Found a place in Columbia, SC, 140.00. Thanks mang! Back to my redneck engineering....

18. Turbo storm

If you are still around Charleston area, there is a place on cross county road that I buy drops from. Otherwise, I have connections with many local steel supply places in the Charleston area. PM me if you want more info.

19. Turbo storm

I've got some people looking into sizes and prices...I'll get back to you soon.

Dan

20. kangasj

kangasj Banned

K! Thanks! You ever make it over to Folly?