1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race tire on the dyno ???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SPL170db, Aug 19, 2011.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So I have an apt to get the bike dyno tuned tomorrow, but unfortunately I don't have any street rubber to swap on the rear wheel. There's a slightly used D211 on there now so I'd like to mitigate the abuse to it as much as possible. Granted it's the middle of the tire taking the hit which is the part I'm on least but what PSI would be recommended to run it so the wear is lessened. Obviously the recommended 21 psi cold I'd imagine is way too low.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

your dyno guy should know what to do.. running low psi will show lower numbers so i would go more than 21psi. Heavier 190 or larger tires will show lower #'s than a 180 as well, but that shouldn't matter. You just want a good map. The tire won't really affect what your trying to do, only the "peak" number and bragging rights.

3. MOTOXAZ

MOTOXAZ Well-Known Member

Just a warning I did a dyno tune on a Pirelli SC3 rear and then did a trackday the next weekend and the rear tire was spinning all over the place when straight up. I know you are on the D211 so you might have better luck then I did.
    Post up the numbers for the hell of it would be interested in seeing what you are running for the hell of it :)

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, I'm not terribly concerned with bragging rights, I just want a nice smooth curve and the most for the mods I did.

I'll posted up results tomorrow. I'll talk to the dyno guy but I'm going to put 30 psi in the tire before I head there and I'll see what he says.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

30-35, that is what i have used in the past. Didn't see any measureable wear on the tire, just a distinctive "band" of color difference from when it was off the track then ran on the dyno drum.. :)

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Run 30 psi or more, and if you're going to do more than 50 or more pulls to get mapping right for multiple fuels or whatever, bring a dyno tire that you won't be racing on. Doing 50+ pulls will create some wear in a soft race tire. I have a 'dyno tire', one for 600s, and one for 1000s, that I use for control in most mapping situations, and most experienced dyno tuners will have the same. You should be willing to kick in $20+ to have your tuner swap tires, unless you bring an extra wheel.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well he's mapping it on F.P. EC997, took him a little over 2 hours to map my 1000 when I brought it to him.

It's a 6680 NTEC :confused:

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I did some reading on the FP website and according to the information there it sounds like they tout their roller as being better able to provide traction and less likely to tear up tires than DJ dynos, so I guess that's good.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

No way I'd let them tune it on a race tire.

I'd bring a fried takeoff.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, the dyno ended up being down yesterday, so I'm going to spoon an old NTEC slick on the back and chew that bastard up next weekend hopefully. I'm guessing the 195/65 slick is a tad bit heavier and taller tire than a 190/55 211GP

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

yeah like others said. when i dyno a race tire i set to 35psi. again the power will really vary and be lower technically but id focus more on the air fuel/tuning..dont sweat the hp if your just there to dial the bike in.

12. Flicknstic

Flicknstic Well-Known Member

RM Racing has done 2 of my bikes on his dyno with 0 side affects, both tires worked well after and held up.

13. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I had mine dynoed with an ntec and had no problems get a good map. The only issue was having the rear spin up on the roller. Had to strap it down tighter.