1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the road bike peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Aug 17, 2011.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I have been riding road for about 3 years now. I always wondered what it would be like to ride a high (or higher) end bike. I have been cycling quite a bit this year so I decided to make an upgrade. I just picked up my new 2012 Tarmac Pro SL4. This thing is incredible compared to what I was riding. It is size 52 and weighed 15.05 lbs with the pedals. I can't believe how responsive it is and it likes to climb like a wild goat.

Attached Files:

2. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Nice bike mang. Too bad youre a little midget! fucker. *hangs giant head on giant body* :D

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Nice. I have an entry level Cannondale, that was entry level in like 2001 LOL. I wish I had a nicer bike

4. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Have you been doing the "Over the Hump" MTB series?????

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

It's little people. :crackup: I prefer jockey size.

6. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have hit every round so far with Ryan Gagliano. We've been having a real blast. Funny how much more you will push yourself as soon as someone calls it a race and blows a horn. I thought I saw your name one round over there. There's 2 left, come on out.

7. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Word...215 doesn't climb so nice.

8. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I did one round earlier this summer. I got sick just before the race (not throwing up sick, but flu type sick), but I did the race anyway and finished. I've been wanting to do another round, but my work schedule has kept me off the bicycle for over a month now! I will do a few rounds next year for sure, it is a great race series!

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Just curious, how much?

10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Retail was $4800. Best I could get them to knock off was 10% since it is a2012.

11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I was just with Ryan this past weekend and he was telling that that he was thinking about a road bike since you got an "Upgrade" and how much fun the OTH series has been. Nice bike!!

Maybe I'll head out to watch the races next week!

12. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

Very nice bike sir

13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Nice bike, just not a fan of those type of pedals though.

14. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Nice ride! Love the black. I have the 2010 model and love it.. I came off a 1992 Cannondale CAD 2.8 before it. I find it to be REALLY stiff but it really puts the power down. Enjoy!

15. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Nice bike. I have a Kona Zing Supreme that's nice but it's a couple of years old.

I've been resigned to the fact that if I want to become a stronger mountain biker I'm going to have to put in more road miles. It's much easier to train consistently (but way less fun) on the road.

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I wasnt either at first. Felt like I was standing on a greasy floor. BUT, my KNEE much prefered them to the zero float Looks I had before, and the 9 degree looks as well. I got a set of the speedplay zeros cheap, and put them on. My knee thanked me. I am used to it now.

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I use Crank Bros Acid 3 pedals on the road bike. Plenty of float and same cleat for all my shoes and every bike. A few roadie snobs look at me down thier noses but that's ok.

Here's a cool pic of Strawser and I in the Tetons above Jackson Hole

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Why not? I have the same ones and they are great.

19. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I prefer the slide in kind. I've got the Dura Ace pedals on mine. I just feel more comfortable on them and feel like there's more support under my feet.

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Other than the float, I cant feel a difference in support at all from the Look Deltas (basically the same thing as the Dura Ace) I had and the Speedplays. YMMV though I guess.

bEeR, not that it matters. Just curious, but have you actually ridden with speedplays? Or you just dont like the idea of them?

I didnt like the idea of them either. Seems so odd to have a teeny tiny pedal. We all grew up with platform pedals. I still dont really like the amount of float I use (although i could turn it down) but I have to have it.

The one thing I DONT like about them, is you have to be sure to put on the "coffee house covers" on the cleats since the mechanical part is on the shoe, and can fill with dirt, which adds more crap to carry around. BUT, on the bright side, the rubber covers make it so you dont sound like a damn Clydesdale walking in to the convenience store, and you actually ahve some traction on a tile floor :crackup:. I almost broke my neck several times with the LOOKs, they were so damn slick on a floor, and the "clip clop clip clop" got so many funny looks.... as if we dont get enough in full spandex already :D