1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

awd motox to be used by the military

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadel....html?ed=2011-07-27&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

Philadelphia maker of all-wheel-drive motorcycles, may finally get the break it’s been waiting for:

The U.S. ArmybizWatch U.S. Army Latest from The Business Journals Army announces new renewable energy task forceDepot nets bonus for city, countyHono Apo Facilities Services gets M Army contract Follow this company ’s 82nd Airborne Division has ordered 90 of the motorcycles, and could significantly increase the number in the future, said Steve Christini, the company’s owner.

The Navy Seals are testing them and, late this month, Christini will ship 15 to San Diego, where various branches of the Armed Services can test them.

“We don’t know the extent of volume at this point, but this is a really big opportunity for us,” said Christini.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have looked at the pics, but can't wrap my brain around how the front gearing would work when the fork expands and contracts

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's probably some type of well lubed splined shaft. I remember somebody made one of these, maybe yamaha, that used a hydraulic drive system for the front wheel. I think that would be more durable, and MUCH less complicated.

3. jbrown706nv

jbrown706nv Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out how they could sell them that cheap? I mean a 2011 crf450x has an msrp of $7800.

4. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Pretty sure KTM has one as well. They were using them at the xgames this summer.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The Christini uses either a Honda or KTM base. That's what Geoff usually rides in Endurocross events. KTM has worked on their own version, more hydraulic as I recall. But it hasn't seen the light of day beyond testing, last I knew. Yamaha went as far as making a production run of WR450s with their Ohlins developed hydraulic systems. It was the cost, and just weirdness, that seemed to hold them back from selling.

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I've seen these guys at the local hare scrambles, bikes are pretty cool. They'll crawl up, over and thru anything and it's hardly noticeable at a glance. I think the price is just for the system.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy at the Christini tent at the local Endurocross, and he said they were using the GasGas 300 engine because it lugs better than the KTM and makes peak torque lower in the RPM range. He also said that it only adds 13 lbs to the bike and helps in the rock and sand sections of endurocross. Of course, he finished second to last in the main event (not pro, Open Amateur?), so I can't say whether it helped or not. He was very slow in every section, it didn't seem to help him from falling over in the wood pile or the "Erzburg" section. I didn't have time to ask more questions, but I wanted to know if it spins slower, like the hydraulic versions, which allowed 5% wheel slip in the back before the front started to hook up. And the usual questions of torque steer, etc.

I didn't see the 450 version, just the 300.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

so would these be a lot better for Special Forces than a plain on 450 or even an ATV?

I didnt think Special Forces really used dirtbikes... Do they get training on motorcycles and dirty bikes?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do use tem to an extent, not sure how much, and the ones who use them do get training.

10. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

They've been blatting around on Kwackers (even diesel) for a while now....the Christini's look more fun!

11. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

That's exactly what I was thinking. I remember the hydraulic R1, it was a pretty simple system, but when I look at all the mechanical monkey motion going on in this bike it makes me cringe!

12. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

The marines have been using klr650's for a long time