1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steamed Cheese Burgers

Discussion in 'General' started by Fireball, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

New phrase- "That's about as ghey as a steamed cheeseburger." :D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

With a fried egg on it!

3. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

Doesn't McDonalds or Burger King steam their burgers?

Not that they are good, but steaming isn't uncommon....

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

From: http://www.travelchannel.com/Places_Trips/Travel_Ideas/Food_And_Drink/Food/Hamburger_Paradise

Louis' Lunch
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Legend has it that the hamburger was invented at Louis' Lunch, back in 1895. One day, restaurant owner Louis Lassen was thinking of ways to use up some leftover beef trimmings. As he was passing the meat through the grinder, a hungry customer popped in wanting something to eat on the run. Louis thought quickly, broiled the meat he grounded and placed the meat between 2 pieces of toast -- the first hamburger was born! Things haven't changed much. The hamburger is still America's fast-food meal of choice.

5. Scootimus

Scootimus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Maximus at Pete Miller's. A burger with 2 grilled cheese sandwiches as buns. nom....nom.....nom.....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can appreciate good food even if it's foreign :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nowhere near enough grease or melt on that sammich sorry, it's just not acceptable. This is a proper grilled cheese burger - double coronary bypass from the Vortex - and yes, those are tots.

[​IMG]

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How long was it grounded? And for what?

:D

9. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

never heard it called trilbes ever. ted's is the only place that ive been to that did it. didnt think it was that great.

10. twinrider71

twinrider71 Well-Known Member

Oh' Yeah....that's it! Maybe this fall when the weather is nicer we should get some of the locals together for a bite.

11. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

I've had steamed cheeseburgers and think they taste awful. You either love them or hate them.

Ted's is famous for them and have 2 locations. The one in Meriden is the original but I think it has new owners and has gone downhill.

Lou's lunch which was mentioned is not a steamed burger. They are very good and worth checking out if you are in New Haven.

http://www.tedsrestaurant.com/stories/yankee.htm

http://www.louislunch.com/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a greasy pork sandwhich served in a dirty ashtray than eat at Ted's in Meridan. The patrons are scummy, the servers are dirty and the place is a rat hole......This is coming from a guy who loves drive-in food.

13. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Saw it in a travelers guide.

14. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Mmmmmmm....the Vortex.

15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Alright, I was in the Meriden area today so I tried Ted's. Interesting small joint. I thought the burger was pretty good... different but good. My wife was not a big fan; she thought the steam maybe took away some flavor but I disagreed. To each his own. I didn't care for the wet home fries though.

16. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

I have lived in CT and NY my whole life and have never heard of a steamed cheese burger

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's called the Luther Burger, and you'd really have to hate yourself to eat one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burger

[​IMG]

Of course you have

[​IMG]

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Château Blanc is close but while the buns steam the burgers are still mainly cooked by direct contact with the flat top.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn I'm hungry :D

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Damn, those White Castle burgers looks tasty........I know, I know they're garbage food but damn they go down so good every so often.

You southerns have those 5 Guys Burgers? They're currently my fav burger joint.