1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airfence saved another one last weekend

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

Haha yeah i went off the end of the straight at the top of 5th and realized I had no breaks and dodged plenty of cactus (did you know there's a barbwire fence out there that you run into if you make it that far? Sounds Fun huh lol) thank god for motocross experience Lmao

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was going to start a seperate thread for this but I'm sure enough people will look at this thread to see this.

Went to a wake last nite for a 87 yr. old neighbor that was a very well liked long time Chevy dealer, a couple miles up the road from us, kids are running it now. Anyway the line was looooong and as we're slowly making our way thru I started to think about all the money spent on flowers, there was dozens and dozens of big arrangements.

I told my wife when I go tell people instead of wasting money on flowers have them either make a donation to the SPCA [ dog lover ] or make a donation to the Air Fence Fund. She thought it was a good idea so it'll happen. So tell your significant other to do the same, it'll all add up.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wish I could get riders to understand that the 350 - 400 pound bike is always going to win against their 150 pound scrawny ass in any wrestling contest that happens once they leave the pavement :D

4. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

Us bigger bears (240lb) have more of a fighting chance sometimes then the typical size racer... I went wide at CMP on the last turn my first time there and the bike lowsided when I hit the paint... I was still on the bike with it on the ground on it's side!!! Just pushed up with a hand so i could get a foot down, stood it up and rode off. If only all wrecks could be that graceful...

5. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

Just wondering,the Air Fence at Miller is it track owned or part of the RRW program?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Track owned.

7. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I wish I had the presence of mind to make ANY decision between the time the tires lose traction and the time the dust is settling around the wreckage. I just am along for the ride.

8. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

:crackup::stupid::crackup:

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Hi, can you hear me now?

And mesquite trees and in one spot, the track coming up the hill you're cresting on the other side, and...

Said so (and others have, too) earlier. Won't race there (will do a TD).

I don't think I said it here, though, first thing on here I posted said it has it's issues if addressed, could race. I don't think they'll address.

And I agree - that chicane at pitwall is a widowmaker.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

Ok,Miller owns Air fence a big plus,so what other tracks bought their own safety barriers?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Autoclub Speedway. Road Atlanta has kicked in for some of the stuff there. Barber although theirs isn't airfence.

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Bear in mind that when AMA Pro comes to race at a track, it deploys additional Airfence from the fleet of 60 30-foot sections it hauls around. So while tracks like Barber have some soft barriers, they aren't set up to full AMA Pro spec all the time. At other tracks, including Fontana, Infineon and Loudon, the track bought some, and the Action Fund bought some; in some cases the Action Fund worked with the local club (for example, AFM at Infineon, OMRRA at Portland, WERA at Road Atlanta, WERA and CCS at Summit Point) or track day org (for example, NESBA at Blackhawk, Fastrack Riders at Fontana) to fund and deploy soft barriers.

The quickest and most effective way for a track to get soft barriers is for a local club or track day group to organize a fund raising program with assistance from the Action Fund.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator