1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Jordan Motorsports

Discussion in 'General' started by Steady T, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

I would have to say negativo on that one Ghostrider. Jordan motorsports is struggling bad enough to win against the factories on the kinda weak AMA schedule. GP & WSBK is a whole 'nother level of factory vs satellite team support.

While its not always all about winning, winning does pay the bills. And I cant imagine Jordan getting any richer these days or digging any deeper into his pockets to go to the next level.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks for the reminder to buy some of their team swag. Hadn't looked in a while since it was taking so long to put out.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Just like Papa but he gets paid in Francs.

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

you guys need to look at the big picture

5. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

My point was that MJ has contacts with the underwear company and sport drink company that do business and presumable have marketing programs in every country that the WSBK/MotoGP go. In addition during the last WSBK race the comentators talked a lot about getting an American presence back in the paddock. It seems to me that a well known and respected American team owner and a competitive rider would be very welcome in WSBK and MotoGP for that matter. That the 2 above companies are the size that could afford to sponsor either program to have a competitive program without any other money needed. Further that Hooper is reportedly actively looking for MotoGP or WSBK ride fits my premise. That Hooper present BSB team (Cressant) would put together a credible team in either series. MJ could stay Suzuki and it would help is AMA program.

This is the picture that I can paint in the middle of the night when I should be working.:)

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nike branded motorcycle gear?:)

His worldwide presence would certainly help gain exposure to a team. He definitely has the marketing pull to make it happen. But with grids shrinking worldwide, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Kinda begs the question though, what is he doing wrong in AMA? For years he stated it was the lack of equipment holding his team back. With that thrown out of the picture, is he simply unable to attract the chassis/electronics guys to make it happen? I know Bostrom said something a few rounds ago, and it was repeated on Speed that they had literally just figured out how to fully utilize their fueling (don't know what electronics package they are using). That seemed really odd to me that a well funded team would be just figuring that out over halfway through the season.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Maybe it's complicated, and stuff?

:D

8. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

it will never happen! they are stretched to run the ama team the way they do it. not sure if m.j. loves bikes THAT much?

9. :stupid:

I remember when Jordan made a trip to China or Japan for some promotional thing for Nike and there were thousands of people camped out overnight just to get a glimpse of him in person.

No doubt. The people that think MJ is "stretching" for the AMA team are mistaken. I have much respect and appreciation for him fielding bikes when many others have been pulling out. But he could find the money he spends on the AMA effort under his couch cushions.

Even if you discount the hundreds of millions he made from the NBA (including the money the made for his managerial positions after he retired), there was a time when he was the most recognized and most marketable name and face on the planet. His endorsement deals from Nike, Gatorade, Hanes, Coke, Wheaties, Chevrolet, McDonalds and many others paid him enough (and continue to pay him enough) that he could field an AMA bike for every member of the beeb, for life, if he wanted...and never miss the money.

10. cyron

cyron I am a meat popsicle

I saw there was some MJ branded Joe Rocket gear back in the day, but I'm sure the Jordan brand was just licensed.

11. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Jordan is considered a "global icon", first being Muhammad Ali, then Pele, then Jordan and Tiger Woods is one too. I am sure Beckham is one too. Their reach is worldwide and they are marketed worldwide. Jordan would be a name that the world racing circles know. He used to go to Valencia every year, I dont know if he still does. But he was dipping his toe into that pool to check the temperature.

I had heard in AMA circles though that MJ is not going into his own pockets for the team. Its all Nike/Jordan, gatorade, hanes, et al marketing money. But, that was a conversation in the paddock, so it has as much value as me just posting it here.

12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Although he did have one of the top three, if not the top, costliest divorces of all time. Plus, he and Barkley are major whales in the gambling circles. But I am sure MJ is not going to need to be selling plasma anytime soon. :D

13. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I believe basketball is the number 3 or 4 sport in Spain. Kind of strange, for Spaniards aren't exactly the tallest folks out there. Maybe it's a Napoleon complex thing :D

But regarding Jordan's sponsorship deals, i would think if he could bring Haynes and Nike in, he would have done it with the AMA team. WSBK team is more like 4 times the costs, and I don't think they'll write those sorts of checks.

Remember, companies will only sponsor if you can prove the value of the exposure. No sense for Haynes to sponsor if most of Europe can't buy their brand. Nike would best sponsor European football or Tennis, which shows their products in use.

Jordan doesn't have the bank to fund a MotoGP team, and no wealth manager worth a hill of beans would allow him to. Don't forget his divorce, which cost him big time.

14. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Not too long ago people wouldn't have believed in Nike branded clubs or other golfing apparel.

15. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Also, while Jordan is undoubtedly rich...he ain't Alcohol and Tobacco company rich.

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

:stupid:

Nike is coming out with motocross boots. james stewart wore them for a few rounds... roadracing will be next, i think.

ugly? yes. will they improve? undoubtedly.
    [​IMG]

17. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Nike has had those boots for the past 2 years. I believe Nike said they had no intention of producing them for the public. But that may have changed.

18. I am sure Jordan could do damn near anything he wanted too.

A quick search showed he is reported to be worth $525 million...and he is still making 55-60million every year.

The Jordan brand still brings in over $1 billion every year.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Alky & tobacky are old school. "Energy" drank is the nouveau riche' hawtness.
    Redbull sure gets their visibility out there! Monster a contender for 2nd.

$.00003 for product
    $.14 for container

Subtracted from $3/can retail... :eek:

20. Erz

Erz Well-Known Member

MJ absolutely has a presence worldwide. I have taken people visitng from overseas to the United Center because they wanted to have their picture taken with the Jordan statue.