1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaii - Cruise?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpz11, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Hawaii or Honolulu (Oahu)?

I've spent considerable time on Maui and disagree with everything you said.

2. GA_SVS

GA_SVS Define "normal"

What is this island paradise you speak of?

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've spent time on the North Shore Oahu and all around Kona and never had a bad experience. Even cold called someone while I was on the last trip to Kona to recharge my camera batteries, forgot the charger, as I was going to need extra juice while photographing volcanoes at night. He loaned me a body converted to infrared to play with and gave me directions to a few cool places to shoot while they were charging. The volcano shoot which didn't happen due to weather but it came about after meeting another photographer that specializes in shooting the volcanoes. Never met him before yet he offered to take me out and spend the night, from about midnight to dawn, shooting. Maybe it isn't them. :)

4. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Wow, let us know how you really feel :Poke:

I say if you want to take a cruise, do it somewhere cheaper like the Carribean. But if you want to go to Hawaii, just fly there and spend some time there. If you like laid back - Definately Kauai FTW. Spent a week on the Kauai north shore last year and it was awesome. Relatively speaking not too expensive (had a nice condo) and the locals were great.

I will admit that we spent a day & a half on Oahu just to see Pearl Harbor & Diamond Head, and that was like going to Chicago or LA - definately a let down after being in Kauai for a week.

5. Kam

Kam Well-Known Member

From Vegas I thought it was pretty affordable going to the big island. Went for 8 days at the end of May and stayed in a nice condo 2 people, rented a car, and it was around 3k total.

6. Quiks66

Quiks66 Billy the Kid

Where did you stay on your work/vacation trip?

I've lived here for the last year for grad school at UH. I'd like to say I've gotten the hang of the place, and what you are saying is true...generally speaking. Truth is, most tourists get stuck in the Waikiki (Oahu) tourist trap.

What people don't know is that the rest of the island is amazing and nothing like Waikiki. Hikes up the Ko'olau ridge are breathtaking. Case in point: took this picture 3 weeks ago. I could see Waikiki highrise hotels from here.

[​IMG]

The local people are easy to get along with for the most part, but as in any place, you're going to have your assholes. Keep in mind that although Hawaii has been a state for a long time, some ignorant locals simply think they need to throw their weight around in the name of "defending hawaii." Hawaii has been hit hard by the economy's downward spiral, which doesn't make things better.

OP: Screw the cruise unless your wife specifically wants one. Or cruise somewhere else. Hawaii is best seen by land or air, anyways. Inter-island flights are only $70-90/person and I'm sure you could tackle all four major islands in the same time and for the same (or less) cost of the cruise.

In summary:
    -Oahu: VERY touristy in Waikiki, but lots more to see
    -Kauai: Amazing natural beauty, canyons, cliffs, waterfalls
    -Maui: Less touristy, more country feel to it
    -Big Island: Lots to do, a balance of tourist towns and nature

One more shot: Sunrise at Hale'akala crater on Maui 6 weeks ago.

[​IMG]