1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSR250 Questions

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by KrooklynSV, Jun 22, 2011.

1. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

So, I have a RS125 that I love, but the grids for 125s are sparse at best on the west coast and a 125 isn't that fun at a TD when I'm the only one on one. I've been thinking about selling it and all the spares and getting an NSR250 (MC21). I have a couple of questions for those that have ridden both.

1. In terms of bottom end rebuild intervals - I've heard that the NSR shares the same design as the RS and that when ridden solely on the track the NSR would need to be rebuilt just as often. Thoughts and rough costs would be appreciated.

2. Same as #1, but for the top end.

3. How much slower (if at all) is the NSR250 in track trim than a 125. I know that's very subjective, but given the same rider who's experienced at both, what sort of differences am I looking at? I'm really not looking to get an NSR and find out it's substantially slower than the 125.

I think that's all for now. :clap:

2. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

1. In terms of bottom end rebuild intervals - I've heard that the NSR shares the same design as the RS and that when ridden solely on the track the NSR would need to be rebuilt just as often. Thoughts and rough costs would be appreciated.

Completely different than an RS250.
    Think about it for a minute,If some Japanese kid can run all over Tokyo's half acre,for 1000's of miles, just adding gas and oil, a season or 2 of racing is nothing.

2. Same as #1, but for the top end.

I would go one full season on a top end,2 on a crank,,No DNF's.

3. How much slower (if at all) is the NSR250 in track trim than a 125. I know that's very subjective, but given the same rider who's experienced at both, what sort of differences am I looking at? I'm really not looking to get an NSR and find out it's substantially slower than the 125.

With Kcraget at VIR, @4 seconds, trying not to crash the NSR.

I think that's all for now. :clap:[/QUOTE]

3. peterz84

peterz84 Well-Known Member

Quick thread hijack;

Any of you fellas have any leads on Mc28 SP parts?, looking to get my bike done this year and need lots of stuff.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Pete

4. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Thanks Speedwerks...it's as I hoped then. For MC21 parts - topend/bottom end, do you get your parts from ppl in the US or from Tyga? Tyga's prices seem very good (coming from the RS).

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Pete, PM Tim (nsr250man) here on the bbs
    He is a great source and tell him I sent you. He is a good friend of mine.

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Your RS125 should walk all over the NSR. I had a 92 RGV250 with some minor mods, no power restrictions, Kit black box, Jolly Moto pipes. I raced it my first year and did very well in D-Superbike in 95. I traded it it for a 1994 RS125 and when I rode the 125 I was shocked how strong it was. Oh also, at TGPR I was on the RGV and Chris Ulrich passed me on his 125 and I thought I could pass him back on the straight since I had a 250......WRONG.....

If you need parts PM Tim here on the boards. NSR250MAN

Steve at Speedwerks knows these bikes well, another great contact.

7. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Unfortunately, it's no much as speed as it is class eligibility. Out here in Cali, the RS125 is only eligible for some classes that have an ave. attendance of 3. Not big grid sizes by any means. The NSR can race against the Kawi 250s, which means the grids are 10-20. I'd really prefer just to keep the RS, but it makes no sense if I've got no one to race against.

8. peterz84

peterz84 Well-Known Member

:Off:
    Thanks man, I bought my 28 chassis from Tim when he still lived in Tx. He is out by you now, right Chuck?

I'll give him a shout. Thanks

Pete

9. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Yes he is here in Greenville area.

10. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

I have an mc28 I race a bit in socal. Mostly race an nc35. It will not lap as fast as a well tuned 125gp bike, although most of the 125's are ridden by fast midgets. There are a number of classes usually you can run them in. Reasonably competitive in the sv classes depending on the track. Can always run in the 250gp class as well but at an obvious disadvantage. Pretty much on par with an Aprilia rs250 if your nsr is derestricted with a pipe.

The rebuild intervals suggested are prolly about right. I just ordered a topend from Tyga and it was very reasonable. So running one is substantially cheaper than a gp bike. You can get most parts from Tyga or Redline. They are very fun and the Aprilia, rgv and nsr are about the only way to have some real 2 - stroke fun without as intensive maintenance. Not gp bike fun but tons nonetheless. :D Plus I can ride mine on the street.

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Thanks for the info ate. I'm looking at a race-prepped TZR tomorrow and if that doesn't work out I'll be looking to get either an Ape or an MC21.

12. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Hey Krooklyn, where you going to race it? Socal or Norcal? TZR would be cool too. Would be fun to have another street 250 to play with down here.

13. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I'll be racing up in NorCal, so T'Hill and Infineon usually, but would probably make it down to B'Willow for some races down there too. Maybe in the later part of the year I'll make it down to Streets or big Willow.

14. SpeedWerks Racing

We have a TZR avail.. I imported and sold it back in 98,,,funny how they come home,,, it's as rec. with 2 owners and a good history(most of you here know both of em). Needs a bit of detailing.
    Has a extensive bit of spares and,,,,Ahhheemm,,Non-TZ"R" parts with it, We have not touched it yet, pics are from PO. $4500 firm 302-672-RACE or steve at speedwerks.com
    https://picasaweb.google.com/speedwerks78/TZRForSale

spare tank is the only part missing,,,sold it to someone here.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  15. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Thanks Steve, but I picked up a TZR over here in Cali over the weekend. :clap:

16. SpeedWerks Racing

Remember all that shit in the pic's,,,it's for sale,,,race bodywork and all...
    I'm gonna put it back to stock this winter...let me know,,good luck with it, you wont go "That" fast but you'll feel like Rossi when you get off.......they are a blast.

17. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Steve,

I'll have a look. If you could PM me a list (at some point - I know that sort of thing could take a while) with parts and prices I'd be really interested.

18. RVT2002

RVT2002 Well-Known Member

How much for the spare SP forks? Too bad you sold the spare i would have bought it too. Mine is so rusted.

19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Too late. I already snatched those up. :)

20. RVT2002

RVT2002 Well-Known Member

Good for you :)