1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 Spring Rates

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Reddogracing, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Reddogracing

Reddogracing Member

Putting new springs in a '99 SV 650. I weigh 210 without gear.
    I am planning on 0.90 kg/mm fork springs, and a 650 lb/inch shock spring based on what I've been able to glean from Google and various suspension vendor sites.
    Right now it has 0.85 kg/mm springs (with Racetech emulators), and a Fox shock with a 550 lb/in spring, set up for someone about 180-190 pounds.

Do 0.90 kg/mm and 650 lb/in springs sound reasonable?

Thanks.

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

.90 might be too light. I'm 210 w/o gear and I have .95s and they aren't enough. I'm moving up to 1.0s

3. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

210 w/o gear? Um yeah!

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

shut up...

5. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

Does racetech do a spring exchange? If not pm me when you pull out the .85 internals :D

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i'd say you need at least .95's. maybe a 1.0 in one and a .95 in the other. when i ran that setup i weighed 190 and used a .90/.95 combo.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

too light front and rear. Check out Traxxion website for fairly good recommendations.

8. Reddogracing

Reddogracing Member

Thanks for the input.

9. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

Sonic Springs is also a good source and he Races SV's. Great price and turn around times..

10. williestreet

williestreet Active Member

I am 215 plus gear and have run 0.90 front and 650 rear last year. I had no issues in the front but was bottoming the rear. This year 0.90 front with 675 rear and its better but will eventually go to 700 rear. I am using a shock with a little more travel in the rear so that is probably the only reason I got away with the 650 and the 675. I would go with a 700.
    I am using all the travel in the front and would suggest 0.95 in the front.

John