1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning calipers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stickman, Aug 7, 2003.

1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

What's the best way to clean them? Should I pop the pistons out, put in new seals and just use brake cleaner on the whole thing?

2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I like to remove the pistons and seals. Inspect the grooves where the seals sit. Do what it takes to gently clean the grooves as needed (very small screwdriver and maybe very fine scotchbrite). Inspect the pistons for damage. If the pistons need it, I'll polish them up with Never-Dull and wash them real good along with the calipers. Scrub the calipers in the laundry tub or bucket with hot water and Simple Green. Rinse and blow them dry and install new seals with a little brake fluid for lube.

In a pinch, I have re-used the seals after cleaning them with brake fluid and had good results.

I stay away from brake cleaner. It's good for removing sticker and tape goo, but that's about it.

None of it is hard, just time consuming.

tom

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

A good brake cleaner will not hurt anything in the brake system. That is what it is made for Paint is a differant story:) Dito on the brake fluid for lube on the seals and the pistions for reassembly

4. TreyBone

TreyBone Member

I just spray em' down with brake cleaner:D

5. stickman

I've got the calipers apart, even bought some new pistons and seals. I'm thinking of using kerosene to clean all the gunk off the calipers. Will that harm anything? Not sure if kersosene will leave behind any residue (I do have un-dyed kerosene). How about acetone?

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Kero and brake fluid don't like each other. If you clean them this way, make sure there is none left when you're done.

I'm tellin' ya, Simple Green and hot soapy water (I use a small paint brush to scrub the nooks and crannies). Rinse well. Blow dry. Re-assemble with brake fluid for lube.

Did you find much white crusty stuff in the seal grooves?

7. stickman

Thanks Tom, I'll get some simple green. I was trying to use what I had around the house.

Not much white crusty stuff. Behind the pistons and under the seals actually looked pretty clean. It's all that other crap around it I need to clean up.

One more month! I can hardly wait. I'm also doing a nesba track day that monday after the races on the north course. Looking forward to seeing you guys.