SOS: Calling all suspension masters

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA 16, Jul 17, 2000.

1. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I need help trying to get my setup dialed in on my GSXR 600. I'm lightweight, 6'1, 130lbs. Bike has a built Superstock motor and I need help getting more comfortable to use the H.P. Front end has been Race Teched and Valved, but set up for 160+ rider. Help me out fellas.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

In order to help you we need more info. What rates are the front springs, rear spring? What is the bike currently doing?

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

Other will say the same but I figure I'll do it first [​IMG]
    www.traxxion.com

Or call Lindeman out in California but as you race with us I'm assuming you are located on the East Coast... Max (McAllister - owner of Traxxion Dynamics) and Nelo (the one who actually does the work there) know their stuff. Tell them the details and they'll probably sell you some softer springs.

Once oyu have the proper equipment under oyu, set everything in the middle and go spend a practice day playing with the knobs and twisty pieces finding out what they do, and most importantly - take lots of notes! When you think you have written enough detail, write some more. Easiest thing to do is go out for a few laps, then pull in and change something slightly (personally I vote for a couple clicks if your suspension has a lot of settings so that you can definitely feel what it's doing) then run some more laps to see what that change felt like, come back in and write down what your ass is telling you then make another change and do it all over again. Lather, rinse, and repeat until you have a better feel for what does what.

Once you start going to other tracks and run into specific problems, write down what they felt like at your starting settings then note exactly what you tried to do to fix it, and finally what worked. If you get to the point where nothing seems to be helping, just go back to the middle settings on everything and go from there.

One final thing - it really isn't as hard as it sounds to get your suspension dialed in, not everyone needs a Showa tech turning the dials for them [​IMG]

4. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I would love to do the "MAX". Only problem is, I expected him to be at some of the races. Problem is, He's not. I run N.C. and last year they were at IRP and Putnam if I recall, but this year, I haven't seen them.

I'm not against taking the shock and forks off, not spending the dough, but I would like to see the work done, and then get one on one when I come back from the session as opposed to e-mailing when I get home.

I'm really trying to find someone with a similar weight and compare, but any info will do. The most noteble difference is when I swapped my Mez-3's for Gp Stars I noticed a bit of chatter in the front end. The bike pulls very hard out of corners and grips well, but get uncomfortable when encountering max lean. I'm also toying with the idea to try and swap out the superbike seat because it puts me up very high. Not that I care about dragging my knee, but I was using that as a reference from my past bike, now it's all changed.

5. Tracee Polcin

You just stated part of your problem. You switched tires. You need to measure the diameter of the old tires to the news ones and make adjustments to ride height and such to compensate for the difference in the size of the tires.

6. WERA

WERA Administrator

Call and talk to JB or Walt about what changes to make based on your tire switching, they usually know exactly how much to change things to compensate for differences in diameter and shape.

I'm sure someone will answer the spring sizes and stuff like that eventually.

If you feel too high off the bike go ahead and swap back to the stock seat by all means. I watched Lee Acree chop the s**t out of a beautifaul brand new superbike tail at IRP for the exact same reason. Changing your center of gravity could also be affecting the handling compared to what you rode before.

Also, do add some more details - what kind of a bike did you switch from and what shock are you running?

7. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

First and foremost you should measure how much sag(race and free) your bike has for you with the springs that are in the bike now. 30-35mm in the front and 25-30mm in the rear will get you in the ballpark for most tracks we run. Then you should have someone who knows what correct damping should feel like help you in that area to get you started. But fine tuning there is all done by you and your riding style.

As for the tires, the dunlops are a much quicker steering tire than the metzeler which has a rounder profile(especially the front). If the geometry of your bike is where you like it(ride height front and rear), the switch to say a dunlop would dictate you raising the front of your bike to compensate for the diameter difference as well as the steering difference. Currently, it sounds to me like the front end of your bike is too stiff or too low and your loading up the front. Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. I'd be glad to help.

8. WERA 16

WERA 16 Guest

I do not mind being up so high in the rear. I was there when he was chopping his tail, but didn't understand until now. I understand the dynamics of the center of gravity.

Last year I was on a 92 ZX-7. (Okay, now that the laughter has calmed to a roar). Pretty much a street bike with nothing more than bolt on's. The bike lacked power due to age and a gross weight problem, but bit was by far more stable. I could put it anywhere I wanted and felt fine. I ended up with a best time of a 1:20 at putnam which isn't bad considering. But, on the jump to the Gixxer, I immediately improved.

And as far as Tires go, I know they are religion. And the Pirelli's are awesome, but I'm not in this for the money, because that is a losing battle. But rather to gain experience. I feel the most comfortable on them. But, I also know that the Dunlops are quite forgiving on suspension.

So first things first, how do the Dragon's and GP Stars match up, as far as set-up and suspension set-up?

9. Tracee Polcin

Didn't RRW do a story on a bunch of different tires with Mark Junge doing the riding a few months ago? If they did, you might be able to find that issue and see if it can help you.

10. BAS #513

BAS #513 Active Member

here you go
    RRW VOLUME 10,#1 JANUARY 2000 pg.3