Rossi's new ride

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Because Assen is a throw away round to get him working on figuring the new bike out and getting a base setting. Mugello is the next race, and that's what they're aiming for.

Same logic Hayden is using when trying to get the GP11.1 at the German round, so he has a throw away round before Laguna Seca to get to grips with the new bike and find a base setting to work from.

2. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

As far as 'the swing-arm won't be carbon fiber', if it isn't they painted that sumbitch black...

3. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

According to Guareschi (sic?), the difference between this bike and the 1000 are the crank and con-rods necessary to short the stroke to limit the engine to 800cc. Conversely, the similarities between the GP11 and 'GP11.1' are wheels, brakes and forks - everything else came from the GP12.

4. CommandoRR

CommandoRR Well-Known Member

Qualify 9th instead?:crackup:

5. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

I use to like Stoner...I thought he was a good rider and rode well.
    until he opened his mouth.

6. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

really? assen isnt like any other circuit having a base setting there wont help that bike anywhere, and i didnt think ducati was going to throw away races, or at least the other ducati riders dont think so

7. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

No, but it getting the base setting there would help them know which way to go at another track. Not like it's helping though, since the GP11.1 seems to have been a step backwards in the dry from the GP11. I'm sure they'd have rather found out the GP11.1 doesn't work like they thought now at Assen than at Mugello, like they are finding out. Then again, this is just what they've said in interviews.

And as for Ducati throwing away races, there's just no way 3 engines is going to last Rossi the rest of the season; he does only have 1 more engine available to him other than the two currently in the bikes right now. 33 more practice sessions, 11 more qualifying sessions, 12 more warm-ups, and 12 more races. I'm sure both Rossi and Hayden know they're going to be starting from pit lane after everyone else at some point in the year, unless Hayden stays with the current GP11 and doesn't take 2 more engines with a newer bike.

Maybe it's just me, but it does look like they're scrapping this season to get a leg up on next season. I don't expect them to scrap the season for the other 4 Ducati riders.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A question for The Uccios

What does Psalm 46 say about excuses for 2012 if Rossi does not win 10 races on his way to his 10th championship? By the time the season starts, he will be on the bike that has the longest development, the only one that has already been raced. He has a dozen races to get it ready to beat a field of new bikes.

Anything less than the utter dominance he showed before the emergence of racers The Uccios refuse to acknowledge as his equal on the track today (Stoner, Lorenzo) should be considered a failure. Are we in agreement? Or have you been instructed by the Church of Rossi to work on a new set of excuses?

9. Im certainly hoping for a championship from Rossi next year, but I would only consider next year to be a failure if he is not able to battle for wins. If he is able to consistently run with Stoner, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Spies, and Simoncelli, then I say he still "it."

Im not an Uccio though!

10. svracer142

svracer142 Well-Known Member

PSALM 46 "Thou shalt not question the one who winneth 9 World Championships"

I don't think anyone is arguing that CS and JL are Rossi's equals today. And for that matter I think Spies is on really close to the same level, and after today he may have the confidence to stay there.

In fact I would rather see Spies dominate and win some WC's instead of seeing Rossi win another.

Can today not just be about Ben? Let's argue Rossi and Stoner tomorrow.

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I'll consider the rest of those crackers on par with the GOAT after their ninth world title.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

So you don't consider a 4th place on a never before ridden chassis with less then 2 hours of track time a success? I certainly do. With that said I expect much more in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Then clearly, you haven't been paying attention to what has been happening around here. There are plenty of Uccios arguing just that.

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Nice... Real nice, Papa :D

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't. Clearly, he is on the new bike because it's better than the old one, wouldn't you say? He used it to finish one place ahead of his teammate on the old bike. I'm not calling that a success just yet.

And spare me the "2 hours of track time": it's the same "1000" he tested with shorter stroke. :D

16. svracer142

svracer142 Well-Known Member

Well I have. My argument is that Rossi is the best all around of this era by far and that Stoner will never match his achievements.

Stoner is fast when the conditions are right (HP, tires, etc.). Rossi is a 9 time champion.

Rossi is in 4th place only 50 pts back right now with 11 races left, so don't get too excited yet.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Typical Uccio! I have said plenty of times that Stoner will never match his career achievements. That's not what we're discussing right now. We were just talking about whether Rossi has equal on the racetrack now. You mistakenly acknowledged Lorenzo and Stoner, then retreated back to the safety of the nine championships as soon as you realized your treason. :)

I agree. That leaves plenty of time for Pedrosa to catch up and take fourth place back from Rossi.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I bow to the master. You are way better at fucking with the Rossi fans than I could ever dream of being.:bow::up:

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I was never a Rossi fan, but I respect his accomplishments.

The problem is that he may be on the verge of fading into history for several reasons:

1. He's got a real problem with the Ducati that even he and Burgess haven't solved yet.

2. Young lions (Spies and Simoncelli) are moving up to challenge the three remaining aliens (Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa). Those youngsters are set to press for a WC in 2012 in what may be the most competitive field ever. All five of those contenders have routinely spanked Rossi this year.

3. Rossi is getting old, by relative standards.

The Rossi era may have waned.

The question is: will anyone dominate MotoGP in the next 4 years? Who?

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I agree with your assessment. To the question of who will dominate MotoGP moving forward, I don't think it will be a single rider like when Rossi dominated. I believe it will be a combination of all the names you mentioned, week after week.