1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a boat worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skits, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

So done on the cheap:

• $7000 used mid-range boat (generic Bayliner, etc.)
    • $35 per month for storage
    • $500 / year upkeep
    • $300 / year (?) insurance

I'm sure there are other costs I'm missing, but say 5 years ownership would equal $13,000.

At $400/day for rental and gas, that means for the same money I can go 6 times a year and not have to drag the thing an hour away every time. Of course, the flip side is after five years I don't have the boat as an asset.

Or I could say screw it and buy another bike. This would make the wife less than happy.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Avoid Bayliners....Only the ones over 30 Feet are built well...

3. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Get the biggest boat your tub will harbor. Add bubbles. Invite girls for a day of yachting. You will be way better off.

4. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Best words of wisdom yet. If it's a impulse buy, you will regret it. Wait a summer, and if you still want it, give it a go.

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:rolleyes: Someone could start a thread about their best brownie recipe and Tony would find a way to bitch about cops in it.

6. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

when you buy a boat, plan on owning it for a long time. Buy what you want, and wait for that specific boat, because chances are once you buy it selling it will take years. so, buy exactly what you want.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Good advice... Yes decide what your going to be doing... Fishing, Skiing, Racing, Sailing ect and go from there... I see too many fishing poles hanging out of 40 Ft Cigarette Boats on the weekends... And way too many people trying to wakeboard behind Pontoons only to realize once they get up there is no wake...LOL

8. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Best friend and I bought an 88' open bow 18' Searay when we were in college for $4000. Was a maintenance nightmare, I can't count how many times we got towed back to the dock. Bilge pump, trim up/down motors went out, transom went out (expensive) and other misc. engine problems.

Given the amount of scantily clad poon we got to come out with us (plus tubing and wakeboarding was a blast) I would consider it the best purchase we ever made.

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I dissagree. The correct anwer is "Yes!"

Attached Files:

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

fixed....

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

12. yes and yes
    go fast
    jump high and laugh hard

Attached Files:

13. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

There are days at the track when I am dripping with sweat, dressed in dead cow I wonder why I changed sports. I miss my nautique and going for some sweet long jumps.

Attached Files:

14. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Lucky you! Cheapest I found around here was $900/day or $600 for a 4hr rental.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  15. caferace

caferace No.

Pot Brownies. :)

-jim

16. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

I traded my 2002 R1 for this 1989 American Skier tournament boat. 351 Windsor, direct drive, stone axe simple to repair and maintain.

We've had a blast & it's a change from 25 years of motorcycles 24/7.

Attached Files:

17. rockman

rockman Member

I bought a new fishing boat (23' Parker) about 10 years ago. 4 years and 20 grand in credit card bills later (not including payments), I had to pay 4Gs just to sell it.

I took my boat out more then most of the people at the marina. Most boats just sit, and sit, and sit.

I'd sure hate to fill that 100 gallon tank every weekend at today's gas prices.

Had I known better I would have bought a fully equipped used boat and saved thousands.

18. ex419

ex419 Well-Known Member

Yes..

I would go with an older ski boat.

Inboard (350 or 351) and direct drive. Simple to repair and maintain.

I have a 1992 mastercraft 205, and I love it.

19. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Awesome Boat... I have had 3 Windsors and this one I have now is simply perfect....:up: