Going Faster

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Speaking from experience I see.:Poke:

2. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

Well I am married you know..;)

3. Tracee Polcin

and a road bike and my Yamaha FZR400 SBK w/bling-bling everything.:moon:

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

FZR400 SBK? That's got to be some sort of play on words:Poke: :D

5. Tracee Polcin

Me too.;)

6. kp_racer

kp_racer Well-Known Member

Kris- how in the world did you go so fast through 5 and 6 on that SV before the redflag in LWT.:D . I was NV300 that was racin with you until that redflag came out.

Jason- just follow someone who brakes late and do what they do:D . What kind of pads and fluid are you running?

KP

7. dave333

dave333 traveler

Jason,

You still riding the SV? How's it holding up? Did you build out the motor yet?

8. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

LMFAO!!!!

9. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

Practice doing endos whenever you get the chance. It will give you a better feel for the limits of the front end of the bike. Endos are fun.

10. Glover

Glover Official Race Suit Tester

More Gas Less Brake

I not anywhere close to were I should be racing, but follow a few fast guy's in pratice will help.

Glover #85
    Sloweest HWT Racer
    www.medievalracing.com

11. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

I might be wrong in thinking this, but........
    braking late is good, but on the throttle faster and all the way through the turn is better.
    IMHO its whoever comes out of the corner faster that is taking the turn better, not who is the first into the turn.
    By braking sooner, you can get back on the throttle faster thus giving you more momentum on the exit.

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Kevin whats up, I'm using EBC pads and Motul fluid. As far as how Kris get's through 5 & 6 so fast he told me to "close your eyes and just hold it wide ass open":D

13. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Isn't it true most expert, MotoGP type, really fast guys hold the brake right up to the apex, then start to accelerate?

I find myself letting go of the brake way before entering the turn and getting on the throttle and staying on it into and through the turn.

How do most of you guys do it?

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Yeah still got it. I keep thinking about selling it for a bigger bike then I think to myself why? I love the bike and it handles great thanks to GMD. I havent built the motor yet I'm still waiting on a guy to get back to me. The bike is bullet proof. (nock on wood) What are you on now?

15. kp_racer

kp_racer Well-Known Member

I passed him going into one, then he came flying under me through 5 and 6. Then the redflag:( . Did you do any races?

You going to Tally?

KP

16. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

I always went faster went I picked my feet up. Maybe that was when I was younger and riding my trike down the hill in front of my house:p

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I was in race 1 and signed up for race 9 but I got real overheated and sick feeling so I spent most of the day in the trailer and did not go out in 9. I will be at Tally maybe I can put some of this help to use. Don't worry about Kris he is expert and hella fast. Been racing a little longer. He does well on a bike set up for a guy twice his size and to have only ridden the bike a few times. I think he would be fast on anything. He is a great guy even if he is Gay:D

18. RMS40

RMS40 Well-Known Member

tip..sort of

ok, for what it's worth...

Your probelm isn't with braking. It is your perception of speed entering a corner. You have to become more comfortable with a higher entry speed which will allow you to brake deeper and later and actually use less brake and depend on scrubbing speed off in the corner. Some corners are more freindly at allowing you to crub speed than others. So do a practice day or school (track days are kind of hard to do this because someone may ride right up your taile pipe), However do the "one gear-no brakes drill" until you build up to a higher corner entry, thus increasing your corner entry speed.

This trick is to NOT go blasting down the straight and HAVE to use the brakes, but enter the corner at a slower speed and keep adding throttle each time untill you become comfortable with the higher entry speed. Once you've become comfortbale with a higher entry speed you can now go as fast as you want or can on the straight and know at what speed you are comfortable entering the corner so you will not over brake for the corner. It's not how fast you get in but how fast you come out of a corner that will lower your lap times.

You will become more aware of how much more control you have when you are on the gas entring a corner rather than on the brakes and if you do get into a braking duel you'll know just how much brake to use and when.

Bob Stanley
    FASTTRAX

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

:Poke:

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Re: tip..sort of