1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Spring Rates

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rraiderr, May 24, 2011.

1. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Does body type play any role in fork spring rates?

I know the charts show rates based on body weight + gear and so on but what if someone has a body builder shape and caries more weight in the upper chest and arms like Arnold back in the day.

What the additional weight of the persons upper body pushing down on the front end require going up and additional spring rate opposed to what stated on the charts?

2. ChrisMag

ChrisMag Member

It's unlikely to affect the spring rates, but it could affect the front and rear preload setting a little bit. When I say little bit, I'm referring to a couple MM either way, so not a significant amount. The important thing is to set the suspension based on the rider in the typical riding position, feet on the pegs.

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Regardless of your body structure, braking transfers weight to the front wheel, which must deal with the increased weight. Does not matter if all your weight is in your ass.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That's good to hear...

5. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

You bay area guys are always about the ass :Poke: :crackup:

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What if you have real fat ankles?

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Get a belt sander and shave that shit down....seriously, why the toe ring. Is it supposed to be a sexy accent to a foot that looks like a loaf of Wonder bread?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Kankles

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

You sure about that?

The way you hold onto the bike can influence what springs you need. If your a body builder type that uses those big arms to keep you on the bike when braking because you've got chicken littles legs then you'll be needing stiffer fork springs than a rider that uses his legs for something other than filling out thier leathers.:D

Most of those charts aren't even close anyway...

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

+1.

How a rider rides also dictates what springs he needs. A 160 lb. guy rolling around the track at a beginner track day pace and a 160 lb. guy rolling around the track at lap record pace are going to need different setups on their motorcycles.

11. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Good point. thanks

12. Ryan636

Ryan636 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

13. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I think rider skill and style are far more relevant than body type...

Even a body builder and a fat ass that weight 200 lbs... The body builder is not going to have 125 lbs arms... Or the fat ass is not going to have a 125 lbs ass...

Luis

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Really? When you apply the front brake, the angle of the fork forces the front end down. Period. The springs resist that, period. It does not matter if the weight is at knee level or head level, the vector of force is through the steering head into the fork travel.

15. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

+ 1 :up:

16. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

What about the additional force being exerted against the spring by the rider pressing on the handlebars attached to the forks/springs

17. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

I think rider preference is more important than anything.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

So your saying the height of the CG has no effect at all on how much weight is transfered during braking?

Your confusing the vector of movement with the vector for force, the MAIN force vector is from the CG to the front tire contact patch during braking.

19. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

And the transfer of the force is through the headset. Actually the force vector is contingent on traction. If the contact patch is grease, there is no force vector down, and still is forward.

Or are you saying that if all the weight was below the headstock there would be no fork downward movement? Run alongside your bike sometime and grab a handful of brake.

20. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

Run alongside your bike sometime and grab a handful of brake.[/QUOTE]

I've done this before and i didn't like the outcome:down: Road atlanta in june, fucking hot, and trying to push start my bike, nearly crashed in the pits trying to get my leg over the seat, i thought the bike was going to drag me until i grabed the front brake. i looked around and don't think anyone saw.

Last edited: May 31, 2011