Which droid phone?

Discussion in 'General' started by ducrcr, May 24, 2011.

1. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Well, since my phone went for a swim yesterday I need to get a replacement. So I'm coming to the all knowing beeb for advice. I'm going to go ahead and get a smart phone (1st time) and the folks at the verizon store are suggesting the Samsung Charge (nice big screen) or the HTC Incredible2 ($100 cheaper than Charge). Are either one of these a good way to go? I'll be using it mostly as a phone & web browsing. Battery life & durability are important as well. Suggestions, feedback? Thanks!

2. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I got my Samsung galaxy at costco for $49 and it came with a car charger and ear buds.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Incredible2 FTW

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Depends on what your common usage is. If you need the digital horsepower, then go for the Charge or the Thunderbolt. If your usage is more commonly spend on the actual phone and limited usage of the web and apps, go for the Incredible.

I just picked up the Samsung Infuse and it's preety awesome so far. The phone itself is huge but I love the screen and graphics. Not to mention it holds up to a 32g card.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why don't you want to drink the iPhone kool aid?

6. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

As far as usage goes, it's speculation since I haven't had a smart phone before. I don't know how much I'll get into apps, although I should spend a fair bit of time surfing web pages, probably not too much video stuff.

As far as the iphone kool aid, I didn't want to start an iphone-droid war with this thread. I'm not opposed to the iphone (I have a macbook), but the salesfolks were kinda nudging me towards the droid, said their demo iphone wouldn't make it through the day on battery, etc. And being as I'm not particularly knowledgable about this stuff, I'm easily influenced.

7. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the Droid X, but it is now getting to be the old kid on the block.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Droid X at Costco was like $10, with car charger, case, ear buds. It runs good for me. Use it all day and its not dead at the ens of the day. Stream pandora or use too much GPS and it dies quick.

That was with Verizon and new activation. If you arent with Costco and there is one around you check out the website. You may save more on the phone to make getting a memebership worth it.

9. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

I have the Droid X2 and so far its super fast and easy to operate. :up:

:beer:

10. l got an Atrix the day they came out and couldnt be happier. The speed is ridiculous.

11. Love my Droid X but as said above its already obsolete.

12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Samsung has some pretty kick ass phones, but it sounds like their battery life is abismal. Like on the par of having to plug your phone in during the business day abismal.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My Infuse has a ridicukous battery. Talk and apps, plus angry bird sessions and I have 1/2 battery in the evenings.

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've been reading Engadget.com for awhile to keep pace with the smart phone offerings in anticipation of my next upgrade. They did a comparison the other day that might help.

Smartphone Buyer's Guide

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hell, they are mostly obsolete when you open the box anymore. Something newer, faster, more better-er is already on a boat from Guongzhuo to take your new toys place.

16. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

DroidX at Costco as well!! Only $49. Verizon.
    I love my phone.

17. So true. It does everyting I need it to do once it was rooted. Battery life is my only issue.

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

too bad you're on verizon, you get locked down and miss out on some features

fwiw, my G2 has been great

whichever you decide on make sure you can "install apps from untrusted sources" before you commit otherwise you'll be hating that you dont get the free daily app from amazon.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've had my HTC Evo for almost a year now and still think it's an awesome phone, with that said if you're locked onto VZ I'd go with the Samsung. I hear that new AMOL display is a very nice feature.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

incredible2 is $80 through amazon