1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilot or Heroic custom suit

Discussion in 'General' started by Maidennj, May 9, 2011.

1. dv8Ryan

dv8Ryan Retired Stunter

Ok, that suit in the 4th pic is pretty sweet, well done

2. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Kangaroo is more abrasion and tear resistant than cow hide of nearly double thickness so the protection offered is superior in most cases. Adding to that, Heroic suits have ample amounts of stingray hide in major slide/impact zones which further decrease the chances of tearing and abrasion holes with estimates of abrasion resistance of 5x or more than of cow hide..

3. Maidennj

Maidennj Member

I'm thinking of going with Heroics custom roo suit but .086 mm for a suit would be paper thin. That would be concerning. Spidi roo suits are listed at .8 mm

Is my math fucked or is it really .086 mm?

4. Gigantic

5. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Heroic's look really great, but I've never had one on so I can't speak to anything about them.

I can tell you that I crashed HARD in my Pilots, highside at NJMP at 90ish, and not a burst seam anywhere, even tho I rashed every single panel on them by the time I stopped sliding/rolling/denting the track.

I sent them to Alexa, and all she ended up having to do was touch up some of the lettering with some dye and send them back to me as "Good to go." I'd recommend them, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another set.

6. Quasievil

Quasievil Kiwi

7. HEROICRacing

HEROICRacing Well-Known Member

-

Thats a REALLY REALLY REALLLLY good question.

Be honest with you I was extremely nervous about Daytona. I was testing some extremely delicate in my opinion suits that I told the Supersport and Daytona riders that we needed to grade and evaluate.

History on HEROIC Roo - I was called by DiSalvo early last year to see if I was interested in supporting him in WSS. After I got off the floor. LOL I was shocked. We came up with a Podium design, got it made and after some logistic issues were resolved, we got the suit on the world stage. THIS IS TODD SPEAKING, THE FIRST COWHIDE SUIT WAS A TURD. It was heavy, it was not cut right. Jason was a difficult stature for us to pull off for some reason. WE LEARNED A LOT. JD sent TONS of information weekly. In fact so much I asked him on the cell, can you say something nice. He said, oh, I thought you wanted the dirt. LOL The 2nd through 5th suit was .089 backhide kangaroo. I worked and worked with my factory to get a world class suit on him. At WSBK, I had the opportunity to see, feel, tear apart, Miguel Praia, Checa, Steve Martin's and find out what the other were using.

Long story short; it wasn't until I spoke with Matt Silva from Vanson, I realized all these companies are using kangaroo, but its backhide. Matt said, Todd, you are killing me with your suits, but if you want to get to the next level, use what your using in the SP-R PRO's my gloves. LOLOLOL Pouch skin. It has been sitting in front of my face for 4 years.

Enter Daytona - I made four different blends of suits. .89 back hide is my standard suit and the industry uses coarse backhide .1 I made four test suits for Paul Allison, Eric Stump, Santiago Villa and Stefano Mesa. Each suit had specific panels that were to be tested for longevity, color, stretch and pull, burn resistance and an entire list that would bore you. The difference between these suits is that they were all variations of pouch and backhide. 4 different variations.

Mesa was the first to wreck the suit sliding on the rumble strip at high speed. The suit was just rubbed with asphalt marks. We 409'd the suit down and it went out again. Looked like new. Mind you we scaled this suit down to .69mm skin and the leather was like tissue paper. Stump had similiar variation and wrecked at 154mph and slid over 150 feet on asphalt. Villa same, Mesa again and Stump again. None of the suits had holes, broken threads, yet Mesa's suit had a burn in the keprotec where we gave the forearm arm pump relief. Since Daytona, Stumps entire a. suit is entirely made of .69 scaled kangaroo and he has had 11 wrecks and the only issue with the suit is its dirty and he is missing the M on STUMP on the butt. This leather is cowhide. His suit is 6 lbs without kneepucks and armor and 6.5lbs with. The wrecks consist of speeds from 160mph to 30mph.

Issue with cowhide, it is grained like our skin as we age. The grain creates tear points that makes the leather seperate like a seam. Kangaroo backhide is grained and its brittle and gets hard quickly. Pouch and belly feels like rubber, stretches one way and when fit in compression style is smooth as glass. If the track is groomed from debrit. The suit will slide right over the top of the tarmac. Whew... Hope this helps with an understanding.

Why does HEROIC make you go 2 seconds faster. Fit. Take fit out of the equation and you'll ride over your head. Roll off or you'll roll right into the ambulance. ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. HEROICRacing

I always say .089. Guys I flunked math all the way to college. .89 and scaled .69.

9. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I have gotten to know Todd, been to his house. Sat and talked to him about riders, suits, and other stuff.

His suits are top notch and what impresses me the most is that he's ALWAYS innovating and looking at ways to make them better, safer, lighter, stronger.

Mine is just days from being done I said DAYS Todd, please agree it's days hahahahahaha.

The man is passionate, and he's present, you can see the man trackside and talk to him I can't say that about any of the other suits I've owned.

10. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

I got a Pilot suit back in December. Suit fits very well, have not crash tested it. (knock on wood) Good customer support thus far.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Is HEROIC US or EURO sized?

How for us the fit for us errrr..."stocky" guys? :D

12. hungry4pwr

hungry4pwr Well-Known Member

My son Mario is looking forward to his first Heroic Suit. He'll be getting it any day now! Todd's customer service is amazing!

13. HEROICRacing

Days Jimmy. :) Same for you Mario. @418, My suits are European intro American: Translated Race fit lean with added areas like the forearm, knee and calves. No baggy butts here. Contact me and I will work with you on getting a glimpse if we can get you into an off the rack. If you are 5'6 to 6'1 your in luck. In fact I have a BUNCH of left over size 52 big boy suits I can make you a sweet deal on.

14. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Very detailed review and understanding of what goes into suit builds. Very educational indeed. Once my RS Taich goes poof, I may consider a Heroic for sure!

15. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

HEROIC race gear is all top notch in my opinion. Like YZF said, Todd is constantly making his stuff better. Being a small company, and an owner who is at the track nearly every weekend... he finds out what people want/need and makes adjustments to his line up quickly and efficiently.
    I have had a pair of his gloves since last year and they are amazing. I have an AGVsport suit now that was taylored to me and is only 1 year old. The second I have the funds I will be getting an Heroic suit as well.

16. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

+1

Depends on how you want to spend your money. Pilot gets my vote. Either way do some research on the leather and time frame of getting your suit.

17. Maidennj

Maidennj Member

Ok I've decided to go with the Heroic custom roo suit. I'll let the board know how it goes and my experience.

18. VILLA23

VILLA23 VILLA 23

Well my opinion, and I can say it's my personal opinion and many things I have talk with riders that raced pilot, ( very near my team) they say the Pilot sucks big time, measures are wrong, heavy, and sorry its not even good looking, Look in to the AMA padock, very nice and fast racers in 2010 raced with Pilot, and now they didnt, one of them must be really happy, because of his bigggg slide at Daytona.... You guys get who??

I have used Dainese, Alpine, Berik, Arlessness, and Heroic, the new suits are amazing, not good amazing, people like Jason Disalvo, and his Dad talk to me at Infineon and where very impresed with my new suit.

Talk to the guys that have used Pilot in the past as riders... then you will know the truth. :down:

19. Gigantic

20. HEROICRacing

Representation is important to me in pro and non pro events and no matter what someone is paying for the product, if they are not who I believe will be a good reflection, they are not a good representative. Its not about the product, and getting and retaining sponsorship is important. This response is an example.